Seventeen

Evangeline

"You can take your break Evangeline, I'll cover you," Molly, one of the centre's program support workers said as she walked into the room quietly, so she didn't wake any of the children up.

I smiled at her before thanking her and grabbing my phone from my bag. I left the room, shutting the door behind me before I headed towards the kitchen to see Diana.

"Hey Eve," Diana greeted me as she cut cucumbers up. I waved towards her before quickly stealing a cucumber slice, ignoring the small stink look she sent me.

"So what time will I be seeing you tomorrow?" She asked, causing me to looked at her confused.

Had we planned to get together?

"For the barbecue," She added on once she saw my confusion.

"What barbecue?" I asked her.

"That stupid boy didn't tell you?" She questioned, more to herself it seemed like.

"What are you talking about?" I asked her, trying to figure out what barbecue she was talking about and why she was expecting me to be there.

"The club is having a big barbecue tomorrow to celebrate some huge deal the club made with some other club and I figured Lucifer would have already mentioned it to you," She explained to me, as she began to put the cucumbers into bowls and saran wrap the bowls to keep the slices fresh.

My shoulders slumped a bit as I realized that Lucifer may have not even brought up the picnic to me at any point. Whenever the topic of the club came up he didn't really talk much about it. I knew he wanted me to stay away from that part of his life but how could I when it's his entire life. Diana must've realized he didn't tell me about it because she offered me a comforting smile.

"It must have slipped his mind," Diana made an excuse, trying to make me feel better about Lucifer not telling me about the barbecue. Although she was trying to make me feel better it didn't help much.

How could Lucifer and I continue this relationship if he was always holding back his life from me?

"Yeah must've slipped from his mind," I agreed to put an end to the conversation. Diana offered me some cucumber and I smiled at her, accepting the food. As I ate it I tried focusing on what Diana was talking about but my mind kept going back to Lucifer and the club.

After a while I had to say goodbye to Diana before heading back to my classroom to finish off the day.

*****

Walking into the house I let out a sigh as I took my shoes off and hung up my coat.

"Evie is that you?" Marybeth called from somewhere in the apartment.

"Yeah," I called back as I walked over to the living room and plopped down on the couch. Marybeth walked out of her room in a pair of sweatpants and baggy shirt and plopped down on the couch next to me.

"You okay? You seem off," She questioned as she scanned my face worriedly.

"It's nothing," I sighed, not wanting to tell her about the barbecue in case she didn't already know about it and wasn't invited either. If my feelings couldn't be sparred then maybe I could spare hers.