Five

(Diana above)

Evangeline

I really did regret coming tonight.

Once Diana and Bullseye had joined us at the bar I was immediately overly aware of how anytime Lucifer would whisper something to me or touch me in anyway whenever he had a chance.

I was angry at myself because every time he did something like this my heart and body melted. But I couldn't let myself feel this way. I shouldn't feel this way towards him, he was just trouble.

I couldn't ignore Marybeth's wide grins or Diana's smug smirks every time they caught him doing something.

Diana had even whispered into my ear "I can't wait to babysit your babies," and that alone had me chocking on my drink and blushing madly. Luckily Lucifer didn't hear her but he instantly began rubbing my back softly as he asked me if I was okay.

He was being so sweet to me tonight and my heartstrings were plucking loudly in awe. But even though he was acting so kindly, I knew what he could be capable of.

Bullseyes kept quiet the whole night, only whispering into Diana's ears every once in a while which always made her smile widely and stare up at him lovingly, as he returned the same look.

My heart squeezed as I felt longing for something like they had. It was times like these that made me feel sad about how sheltered I was from the world as I grew up. Even now as an adult I still stayed inside my thick, steady shelter as I peered through the bulletproof glass windows wanting to experience those kind of things others experienced.

I knew I had the key to the doors and windows but I was way too scared to unlock them so I hid the key in the basement, under a pile of what ifs and fears.

I was so deep in thought that when I felt someone gently squeeze my waist quickly I jumped in surprise.

"You good?" Lucifer chuckled as he watched me look away from him to hide my face. 

I quickly nodded my head before I began to pick the label off my second beer.

I left the torn pieces of the label in an abandoned pile on the bar as I continued to peel off other pieces.

Marybeth hated this habit of mine. She hated when I got nervous about things because I started to pick at things. Mostly when I was holding a drink that had a label on it. She hated finding the forgotten piles of labels around the house.

"Evie," Marybeth warned softly making my eyes snap up to hers. I offered her an innocent smile which earned an eye roll but a grin in return.

"So we should get going, I gotta be at the daycare early to start morning breakfast. One of the toddler room's are having a small party so I need to get breakfast ready before I start to get their snacks and special lunches ready for them," Diana sighed as she stood up off the stool resulting in Bullseye following her actions.

The men started to do their weird man handshake hug thing as Diana hugged me and kissed my cheek.

"You and I are going to have a long talk tomorrow," She whispered into my ear before she pulled away. She reached over the bar to give Marybeth a small hug and kissed her cheek before the two waved goodbye and left.

"Actually I should head out too, I got to go early tomorrow to set up our arts activity," I stated as I stood up, smoothing out the dress.

Marybeth pouted but didn't argue because she knew that asking me to stay was pushing it sense I already gave in and went out tonight.