Where Have You Been

Mileven-Oneshot

Lately I've been thinking it's just someone else's job to care

Who am I to sympathize when no one gave a damn?

I've been thinking it's just someone else's job to care

'Cause who am I to wanna try but

El sat at the counter covered by darkness. The plate covered in foil stared back at her.

Mike unlocked their apartment door to find everything silent.

"Hey," El said.

Mike froze at her voice sobering up as he headed to turn on a light. Light flooded the small apartment the two shared. As she turned her head towards Mike, she looked beyond exhausted.

"Hey," he said back.

She didn't smile at him as he came closer to the kitchen. He gave her a crooked smile, but she could barely even looked at him. As he stood on the other side of the counter, she looked up. He sobered up some more, but still not enough.

She looked into his eyes, which were bloodshot and twitchy trying to stare back at her. She hated this, she hated alcohol, she hated what was coming next. She sighed because being tired and disappointed have become close buddies with her lately.

"Where were you," she asked.

"Out."

He was tired and usually passed out on their bed next to a sleeping El. He didn't want to talk or look at the disappointment from her. This was going to be short and simple; he'd be in bed in no time.

"Where were you."

"Out" was simply not a damn answer. She knew he was at the bar not far from where they lived. She had been a couple of times before with the party, but now she never wanted to step foot in there.

"I was at Billiards okay."

"Honestly I'm surprised they haven't named it Mike's Place," she couldn't help the sarcasm.

"I'm not doing this El."

"Funny because you haven't been doing anything lately," she remarked.

"El, I'm tired."

"I'm tired too buddy."

She had every right to be pissed and frustrated at him. He was single handedly ruining their relationship and she couldn't keep it afloat forever. She was tired of the strain and the worrying, she didn't have the energy anymore. She didn't know exactly what she wanted to hear from him, but she needed everything. She was done just thinking with time he'll stop, he'll talk to her, that their relationship will shine again. For months she held on and tonight as she set the same blue speckled dish on the counter ready to be cold when he came home, she broke.

"Then let's just go to bed. We can snuggle if you want."

"Five months Mike. Five months you've come home and I'm already asleep. Every night I fucking wished you'd be there, with me. Yet empty space was all I was left with."

"What do you want me to say El," he said annoyed.

She could smell his breath and her anger amplified.

"The last five months. That's what I want Mike."

"What about the last five months. What's been the last five months?"

"You haven't kept track at all."

"Track of what El."

"Today has marked the fifth month in which you started coming home a little late. Then later and later until now. You're mistakes for these last five months."