Listen ― III

Continued from Listen ― II__________

__________

"So . . . is it possible we've just saved that kid from another kid in a bedspread?" Clara asked as she and Lucas sat on a set of steps whilst the Doctor, Lexi and Sky worked the controls of the console.

"Entirely possible, yes." The Doctor nodded. "The bigger question is . . . Why did we end up with him and not you?"

"I got distracted." Clara stated as she got to her feet.

"But why that particular boy? You don't have any . . . You don't have any kind of connection with him, do you?"

"No." Clara immediately shook her head. "No, no, no, of course not. Why do you ask?"

"The TARDIS was slaved to your timeline." The Doctor frowned, checking the monitor on the console. "Theoretically, there should have been some connection."

Clara chewed on her lip, looking worried as Lucas got to his feet and stepped over to her, putting a hand on her shoulder. "What is it?" He asked quietly.

"Will, er. . ." Clara took a deep breath. "D'you think he'll remember any of that?"

"Sky?" Lucas looked over at the Time Twin.

"I don't think so." Sky shook his head, taking a seat in a swivel chair. "If I did things correctly, which I'm fairly certain I did, I should've just given him a dream about being Dan the Soldier Man."

Lucas turned to Clara, only to see her looking down at her phone. Lucas checked the last call to see that it had indeed been Danny Pink who had called her. He sighed, placing a hand on Clara's shoulder as he looked over at the Doctor and Lexi. "Not to mess too much with the laws of time or whatever, but I think Clara would really appreciate it if you did her a favor. I believe she has somewhere to be."

***

Clara saw Danny back at the table in the restaurant, then took a deep breath and made her way back over. "Sorry." She smiled as she sat down.

"Hey." Danny smiled.

Clara took another deep breath and held out her hand. "Hello. I'm Clara Oswald. I'm a bit tricky sometimes, a bit up myself, and I do not like my surname, but I think that's basically everything you need to worry about."

"Hello." Danny chuckled, shaking her hand. "I'm. . ." He sighed. "I'm sorry. . ."

"Also, I mouth off when I'm nervous and I've got a mouth on me." Clara added. "Seriously, it's got a mind of its own. I'm really worried it wants to go solo."