Listen ― IV (Final)

Continued from Listen ― III__________

__________

Lexi leaned against the Doctor as they sat looking at the feed of outside on the computer screen. "The end of the universe . . . Seems strangely reminiscent of our time with the Pandorica." She spoke quietly, the Doctor tracing random patterns on the palm of their entwined hands.

"That was a long time ago." The Doctor nodded.

"Yeah, it was." Lexi stared down at their hands. "I'm over nine hundred and fifty years old now, older than you were when we first met, and I still remember." She looked up at him, a cheeky smile spreading across her face. "And here I was, thinking you'd be the one complaining about getting old."

The Doctor just smirked and raised her hand to his lips, kissing her knuckles. "I'm a lot older than you, Lex. I accepted that fact a while ago."

"Ugh." Lucas made a face from where he was sitting a few feet away. "Why do you two always have to be so sickening? Now I know how Jupiter feels."

Lexi just laughed as the Doctor wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Well, it is you, my dear Lucas. Things wouldn't be any fun if we didn't annoy you just a little bit."

"Oh joy."

They heard the TARDIS open behind them, then Sky said. "Wow, you sound so enthusiastic."

Lucas just snickered as he and Clara came to sit by him. "Ecstatic." He deadpanned.

Clara looked around at the five of them, Sky sitting at another one of the computers. "What are we doing?"

"Waiting." The Doctor shrugged.

"For what? For who? If everybody in the universe is dead, then there's nobody out there."

"That's one way of looking at it."

"So there is another one, then?" Lucas asked.

"That's a hell of a lot of ghosts."

The lights dimmed suddenly, changing from a bright red to a deep blue. "Do we have our own mood lighting now?" Sky asked, looking around.

Clara snickered, only to gasp when she spotted something. They all turned to see her looking at the main hatch, where the words DON'T OPEN THE DOOR were written on it. "Where did that come from?" She asked.

"It's always been there." The Doctor answered. "It's only visible in the right lights."

"But who wrote it?" Clara asked.

"Colonel Marsh. Apparently, at night, she needs a reminder. Six months stranded alone, I suppose it must be tempting."

"What is?"

Lexi sighed. "Company."

Something then started creaking, and Lucas looked around. "What is that?"