CHAPTER 17. STUCK WITH U

8 MONTHS LATER ...

VARUN P.O.V

The COVID-19 pandemic is spreading rapidly. With lack of testing, masks and faulty tests, the spread is inevitable. India is currently engulfed in the world's largest COVID-19 outbreak, and is on course to overtake the US in the coming weeks as the country with the most coronavirus cases, according to the health ministry.

Despite the continued march of the illness, the government is unlikely to reimpose the lockdown it has gradually lifted, after the harsh restrictions battered the economy and wrecked the livelihoods of millions of people, particularly the poor. Some schools have reopened, and trains, domestic flights and market have been allowed to operate with restrictions. People can move around only within 1km radius of house. Borders remains-

"Varun, you have to stop watching the news!" Alia sighed, turning off the TV. I loudly groaned, glaring over at her.

"How?" I snapped, throwing my hands in the air. "It's everywhere."

"I'm fucking sick of hearing about this virus, okay? So, just stop watching this bullshit!" She argued, walking off the living room.

"It's not bullshit, it's reality!" I huffed, laying down on the couch.

At first I had loved the idea of quarantine. Being stuck at home with Alia, no work, no travel, just the two of us spending every minute of every day together. It was a small start to the live in relationship, and I had instantly loved the idea.

I'd wanted to see if we would get along, and how the both of us would get to live together and accommodate to each other's habits. Over that quarantine, we had been able to get to know each other even better and grow closer as ever. And surprisingly, our relationship had been working like a charm.

Of course, we've had a lot of fights, a lot of ups and downs, a lot of disagreements, but that was how it was with all couples. But then three and a half months went by. And, we started to get bored to death. Film shootings weren't allowed yet, so we just had to stay home, not having much to do. The list of quarantine activities was getting shorter as days passed.

We were very energetic people, almost overactive. We needed to work, to have a daily activity, to move around, to travel. And, staying at home was literally eating up our minds. I thought I was going crazy.

There was nothing left to do, and it began to get on my nerves. I felt so fucking useless, and it made me mad. Alia would often have panic attacks, due to her constant anxiousness about the current COVID situation. And, I would avoid fighting with her over silly things to not stress her out even more.

On top of that, my upcoming film Coolie N°1 had been postponed due to the pandemic. It was supposed to release in one month. But now, we didn't even know when to reschedule it, knowing the number of movies in cinemas were restricted and two of the most awaited romantic films were going to come out in a couple of weeks.

The producers were even considering the idea of releasing Coolie on a OTT platform. I just hoped it wasn't going to happen, but after all I wasn't in control and it was probably the best thing to do. All that mattered now was the population health, and we were all mature and thoughtful enough to understand and go with that.

"Baby! Baby, come here!" Alia called for me from the bathroom. I rolled my eyes as my girlfriend, once again, interrupted my sleep. She always got the good timing.

I clicked my tongue and let out a deep sigh. I got up from the couch I was laying on peacefully before walking towards the bathroom, where she was standing in front of the mirror. A sheepish smile was plastered to her face, as her hands were covering her cheeks. She looked like a kid who had done something wrong. I knew that smile very much, and I could tell it didn't sound too good. What is on her mind?