Chapter 12

Dally's POV
I stood in my cell watching into the dimly lit hallway. Looking at the wall I had 3 days marked off. 88 more to go...

It was hard watching Charlie cry because of me. I've only ever seen her cry twice now, both in the same day... The first time though, I knew it was because of Sodapop. I was with her making things better. Sodapop had hurt her so I was the one she cried to. It was harder the second time. She watched me be arrested and taken away from her.

Charlie is from a small town. She doesn't have many people that love her. Her parents kicked her out, her siblings don't seem like they give two shits about her. She didn't seem to have friends or she wouldn't have run from them either. Me, Buck, Soda and the gang is who she has. She isn't too close with the boys because anytime we're around them, she and Soda would go off to make out.

The last I saw of Charlie, she was clutching my necklace, tears filling her eyes and I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and bring her home. Tell her I want to be with her.

Who knows where she is right now... I mean I won't know for the next 88 days where she is or what she's doing. For all I know, she'll be going home, to her parent's house, and I'll never see her again. Which scares the shit out of me. I done fucked up.

-

Charlie's POV
Being alone is... Well, it's lonely. It's only been two weeks since Dally's been in jail too. I come home... No Dally. I wake up... No Dally. Buck even started noticing my distress. He switched my shift to be from 12 pm to 10 pm in an effort to make me forget about Dally. He thinks if I'm working during the time that me and him would be hanging out, then I'll forget about him. Hasn't worked really.

Sodapop and I dropped the whole thing between me and him pretty quick. He and Ponyboy come over sometimes trying to get me to go see a movie or get a bite to eat, but lately, I haven't been feeling it. Steve and Two-bit have been trying to get me to go to some parties too. Not feeling that either.

I was just laying in bed, about to fall asleep when Sodapop called, him and the boys, yes all of them, are on their way to get me and I guess I don't have a choice. I was told to pack plenty of clothes. I wasn't told how much so I put a shit ton of crap into one of Dally's backpacks.

"Charlie," there was a knock at my door. It was Buck, "your friends are here."

I made sure I had Dally's necklace on still then I ran down the stairs. Outside, Darry was in his truck with all the boys piled in. "Hop in!" Soda shouted at me.

"Where we going?" I tossed my bag in first and climbed in with the help of Steve.

"Road trip," Johnny smiled, happy to be out of the house.

I looked at them, "where to?" I adjusted myself in between Steve and Pony. Johnny was sitting in front with Soda and Darry and Two-bit was wedged on the floorboard.

"The lake. We're gonna be gone for a week or two," Darry smiled at me and began driving. "Work gave me some time off because boss is out honeymooning with the new missus."

I huffed, "two weeks of isolation with 6 boys?"

"Hey, we have to be sleeping in tents. Darry's giving you the truck to yourself," Two-bit nudged me.

"Camping?"

Darry stopped for gas and ignored my complaining, "here, don't spend it all or we won't have cash for the ride home," Darry tossed his wallet at us and we all piled out of the car. We got our snacks then got back into the truck.

-

We've been at the lake for a while now. They've already set up camp and had some fun, but now it's dark. I sat on the hood of the car staring out at the still water. The boys sat around their fire talking and laughing, but I just wasn't in the mood.

"It's pretty chilly," Sodapop approached me with a blanket in his hand. I didn't say anything. I just stayed staring at the water so he climbed onto the hood and sat next to me.

"C'mon, Charlie. You already bailed out when we went swimming, you didn't eat dinner with us and now you're over here sitting in the dark. We didn't bring you along to be alone," he set the blanket around my shoulders.

"I don't want to be a party pooper, Sodapop. All I can think about is how Dally's stuck in jail," I leaned my head on his shoulder. "He's my best friend. A lot went down in the minute before he got cuffed..."

"Dally wouldn't want you mourning, Charlie. C'mon. We have marshmallows," he slid off the hood of the car and tugged my hand. "Please?"

I cracked a small smile momentarily and slid off the hood. "I'll roast one. Then I'm going to bed." He held my hand and walked with me over to the boys. I sat next to Darry and held the blanket around myself.

"Look who decided to join the party," Darry smiled and handed me the bag of marshmallows.

I stuffed one on the end of a stick and poked it into the flames. I had no intention of eating it, so I just watched it burn until it disappeared into the flames. I tossed my stick into the fire then stood up, walked to Darry's truck and got in to fall asleep.

-

"We're going swimming," Soda appeared above me as I laid in the sand in shorts and a crop top.

I looked up at him, "but the sun's already down."

"Night swim," he offered a hand to me.

"I didn't bring a swimsuit..."

He grabbed my hand and pulled me to my feet, "you have your bra, right?"

I looked at him for a moment then nodded my head, walking past him. I stopped at the truck, pulled my shirt over my head and tossed it into the sand. I heard Two-bit whistle so I rolled my eyes and took my shorts off.

"That's what I thought," Soda smiled and ran towards the water in his swim shorts.

I stood by the truck contemplating actually going in. Before I could decide though, Darry had already thrown me over his shoulder and ran into the water with me. He let me on my feet and Sodapop immediately splashed water at me. These two weeks couldn't be going by any slower.