Chapter 48

Year 1970, March

-

"Where's Dal?" I shoved the Curtis' door open and looked around in a panic.

"Out back with Pony and Jackson, why?" Two-bit walked towards me but I shoved past him and made my way to the porch. "Charlie, what's going on?"

I looked back at Two, my eyes started watering and his facial expression shifted. He knows just by me looking at him. I wiped any forming tears and opened the back door. Two-bit followed me outside to the other three.

"Hey, hun," Dally leaned against the porch railing and smiled at me. The smile didn't last long because he saw that I had been crying. "What's wrong?"

I turned to the other three, "I need to talk to him, alone..." Two-bit quickly shuffled the other two through the door to help me. I paced myself around the porch for a minute before Dally got impatient and grabbed my shoulders.

"Talk to me," he tilted my chin up.

I gulped down the last of my fear and took a deep breath, "I'm pregnant. Again..." He dropped his hand and his eyebrows furrowed, "it's your baby, Dallas. We all know it's yours."

"Son of a-" he ran his hands through his hair, "fuck, Charlie!"

"Don't leave," I grabbed his wrist to keep him standing in front of me, "I want you to be here this time."

"And watch you kill one of our kids for a second time?" Dallas was angry and I knew that. But that was too uncalled for and he knew damn well that stillborn wasn't anything I could control.

More tears welled in my eyes and I felt my face get red and hot. I slapped him, opened the door and went inside. The boys were looking at me, all with concerned looks but I kept walking, walked out the front door and got into my car that my dad gave me on my 20th birthday.

"Charlie," Two-bit followed me and got into the passenger seat, "are you pregnant?"

I nodded my head and rested my forehead against the steering wheel as I cried. Not only am I not ready for a baby for another couple years, but I didn't want one with Dally, and I definitely don't want to go through another stillborn pregnancy. And I don't want my last one blamed on me.

I began quoting Dallas, "and watch you kill one of our kids for a second time?" I looked at Two-bit and shook my head, "I could kill Dallas if it weren't illegal."

"He said that?" Two-bit glanced at the house, "hell, I could kill him for that."

"I'm so done, Two-bit. I'm 20, pregnant and still living with that ignorant asshole who is now gonna be the father of my child as long as this one stays alive," I glanced at him, "I'm ready to move out. Hell, if I have to move back with my dad I will but I can't live with him anymore."

"You can stay with me until you figure everything out," Two-bit put his hand on my leg, "things with be fine."

I looked at him and gave him a hug. I don't hug Two-bit often but it felt like a moment when I needed to. I shoved my keys into the ignition and started the car, I wiped my eyes and quickly did a u-turn so I could go back to Buck's.

-

Dally's POV

I got Charlie pregnant for the second time, 2 years later. I stood outside alone for about a minute after Charlie slapped me before everyone else came to ask me what happened. Two-bit must have been with her though because he wasn't there anymore.

"What'd you do?" Jackson had his arms crossed but when I glared at him he quickly uncrossed them and stepped back a bit.

"Dallas, come on she doesn't just freak out like that unless you really did something horrible," Ponyboy moved in front of Jackson.

"Yeah, I don't even know her as well as these guys do and even I know that there must be something wrong," Steve chimed in.

I stared at them all for a second then shook my head, "she's pregnant," I moved past them all and walked inside, then went straight out the front door. Her car was already gone.

"Dallas!" Jackson followed me, "you really gonna just act like you didn't get my sister pregnant again?"

"What am I supposed to do about it?!"

"Seeing by her reaction you must have said something completely idiotic because she ran out of the house crying!" Jackson turned me around.

I shoved him away from me and he stumbled backward, "I told her I don't wanna watch her kill another baby!"

Jackson immediately punched me which caught me off guard. I shoved him away from me again, harder this time which sent him to his ass. I watched him get up but I grabbed his shirt and punched him before he could do anything else.

"She deserves more than you, Winston. This is why she chose Matt instead of you!" Jackson yelled at me and managed to punch me again.

At this time, the gang was just watching us. No effort in trying to pull us apart. I felt all this pent up anger start to spill out of me. For the past five years of living with Charlie, I've only gone to jail once because I was angry. And now, I don't give a damn about what happens. They all know not to bring up the fact that when Matt gets out of college, she's marrying him. She's letting go of everything our relationship is and was to be with that guy.

I pushed Jackson against the fence and punched him. Once... Twice... Five times... Eight, nine, ten. Jackson's legs gave out and he fell to the ground, the gang swarmed us and yelled at me, shoving me away from him and crouching down to see if he's okay.

I kicked the fence, cussed them out and pushed the gate open. It slammed back into me so I pushed it open again and slammed it closed. I glanced back at them, turned away and began walking down the street.