Chapter 28

"Come back to the party, hun," Dally stood by me, "I'll even get you another drink. You're 18, don't waste it."

"Why'd they send you over?" I shook my head, "any one of you could have said that to me."

"Because we know how you feel, that you like me still," he tilted my head so I was looking at him.

"How?"

He smiled at me, "hun, just come hang out with us. Drink, dance, go nuts. Just have a good time and forget about everything."

"I don't want to..." I mumbled.

All of a sudden, the music got louder and the boys rushed at me. I felt mobbed, and basically a moshpit was formed around me when they did that. I laughed at how stupid I felt as I jumped around with them, then another drink was shoved into my hand and they chanted "chug" as I drank from the cup. So much happened in that probable 30 seconds.

I was brought over to the bar, shots were set in front of a couple of us and lime was set in my hand. We took the shots and I made a face as I squeezed the lime into my mouth.

"Loosen up!" Two-bit grabbed my hand and pulled me to the open floor. As soon as I stepped on, other girls at the party swarmed around and began swaying their hips and making eyes at the guys they brought. I shook my head and grabbed the drink from his hand, downed the rest of it and began dancing.

-

I sat awkwardly as I cringed hearing happy birthday sung to me. I blew out the candles, Dally took them out of the cake and I was forced to cut and dish. No one, of course, was allowed to take a bite until I did though. With my luck, I wasn't in the mood for cake. I took a fork, dug my fork into Two-bit's piece of cake and stuffed a small bite into my mouth.

Not too late after I turned around, there was a whole other cake slammed into my face by Dally and Sodapop. Real cute. I stood there for a moment, wiped the cake from my eyes and mouth then angrily walked away from them. The area kind of fell silent, no one was laughing anymore. I swung the bathroom door open and began cleaning my face, taking paper towels and scraping the chocolate from my skin. They all already knew I'm in a bad mood.

When I got a majority cleaned, I walked out of the bathroom and Dally was waiting for me. I walked past him without even glancing, I walked out of the bar and felt worse than when we showed up.

"Baby, we're sorry," Dally followed me into the parking lot.

"Don't call me that," I paused, "and don't follow me. Look, I don't care that I'm 18, I don't care if you guys keep partying, but I'm going home."

"Did I do something?"

I bit my lip and turned back around, "I really want you back, Dal. Like..." I looked up at him, "when I heard you broke up with Maria, I was over the moon happy. You're single, Dally. I'm single."

"Come back to the party, darlin'," he stepped closer to me, "baby girl."

"I've never been more confused," I stared at his lips for a moment, "I've had a couple of beers."

Dally tucked his hand behind my head, "I have too." He stared at me for a good ten seconds before he leaned in and kissed me sweetly. His lips were everything I remembered.

Our lips parted and I kept my eyes closed for a little bit. I leaned my head against Dally's chest and sighed, then looked up at him again. He smiled then looked around.

"Come back, please?"

I stepped away, "don't tell them we kissed. I don't want Two up on my ass all night about us, I mean, more than he already is y'know..."

"He ain't bothering you, is he?" Dally put his arm around my shoulders and led me back to the building.

I shrugged his arm away, "he doesn't mean any harm."

"I can talk to him," he opened the door for me.

"No. Leave him alone, just, let's party." I pulled his hand towards the rest of them and the party kicked off again. And I let myself loosen up like they wanted.

-

Dally's POV

I sat by Ponyboy and Charlie's brother Jackson, Ponyboy wasn't drinking much and Jackson was trying to scope out for a girl to talk to.

"Y'know, it's been a while since you guys last talked about you two as a couple," Ponyboy drank from only his second beer of the night.

I glanced around to see if I could spot her nearby, "I just broke up with my girl... I know she still has eyes for me but I can't hop on her that quick," I took a drink of my drink and avoided telling them that me and her kissed. Her wishes.

Jackson looked at me for a moment, "from what I've heard from her, you still drive her crazy."

"Man," I huffed, "I'm nuts about her too."

"So what are you waiting for?" Ponyboy asked.

"It's her birthday, her boyfriend just left her and she's pretty upset that we dragged her here. She didn't want me to say anything but we kissed outside, and I don't know man, she seemed pretty into it but it was just another kiss to me."

Jackson rolled his eyes at me, "that's my little sister you're talking about. I'm rooting for y'all but don't pull the crap you've been pulling. She wants to be with you."

"And it'll happen, but," I sighed and sipped my drink, "I don't want her while she's hung up on Matt."

"She's always been hung up on you though. You were never there when her and Matt got into arguments, but it was always over you because he knew you were number one on her mind," Ponyboy told me.

"They fought about me?"

"He wanted her to move out," Jackson nodded.

I looked at them both for a moment then shook my head and took another drink, "yeah, well," I shrugged, "she doesn't need him anyway. She's too good."