Chapter 33

I sat on my bed listening to some records as I thought about life. Unfortunately, though, I was interrupted. Dally walked into the room with an envelope in his hand.

"You have mail, Charlie. Open it." he tossed it onto my mattress and sat on the chair.

I stared at him for a moment then grabbed the envelope. It had my name and address, but no sign of who or where it came from. I grabbed it, tore it open and inside was a folded sheet of paper, a bracelet taped to it and a lot of writing.

I began reading. It was from Matt, of course. Telling me he's sorry, he loves me, he'll visit as much as he possibly can but he still wants a relationship with me. I read and I read and I cried. I then crumpled the paper and wiped my tears away.

"It was Matt," I told Dally.

Dally fumbled his thumbs, "you're crying, why?"

"He's..." I struggled with words, "he makes everything sound so romantic, the way he wrote he loves me especially..." I looked at the paper and uncrumpled it, then read a part of it: "I haven't been able to focus on even moving into my new place because every time I blink I see your beautiful face. Not only do I love you but damn it I'll regret it for the rest of my life if I just let you go like I did."

"Hm," Dally huffed, "yes, of course."

I looked at him and rolled my eyes, "what?"

"Nothing, nothing," he shook his head, "nothing."

"Say it, Dal. C'mon," I stood up and walked over to him.

"Do you still like this guy?"

I laughed out loud, "seriously? He left me! Just because I swoon over his romance doesn't mean I'm still in love with him."

"You cried over hearing it, Charlie that's not just swooning," Dally stood up as well.

I shook my head, "maybe its because I don't get any from you, Dallas. We fight, we make out, we party, we have sex... Repeat."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" Dally turned me facing him.

I shook my head once more, "we lack everything a relationship should have! Trust, communication, romance, love."

"You know I don't do-"

"You don't do love. You don't do romance, yes I know. But I do. I want you to know how much I love you, Dallas because I'm fucking crazy for you. I want to go on cute dates and hold your hand and I want you to look at me like you've looked at no other girl before. I want your love, Dallas because I know it's in there."

"You don't know shit," he muttered and tapped his fingers on his leg.

"I know that whatever the hell happened to you leading up to the moment I met you, it scared the living daylights out of you. Someone can't just not love, Dallas. You have love in you, I know you do."

"I am not gonna stand here and listen to you nag me about this. I'm crazy about you too, Charlie. But I'm giving you all I got. Parties, sex and one hell of a good time," he, of course, pulled out a cigarette.

I laughed sarcastically, "you wow me, Dallas. I'm sorry I'll just sit here and wait for you for the rest of my life. I'll die never going on a date again, I'll die alone because god fucking knows you won't care enough to be there for me."

"Shut up, Charlie, just shut up." Dally took a long puff of the smoke between his fingers, "you're my girlfriend, and if I have any say in it, you'll be my girlfriend for a long time."

"I'm 18 now. I want to start my life."

"You're nuts, darlin'," he flicked ash into the bathroom sink, "throw the note away and get dressed. I guess we're going on a date."

-

I adjusted my leather jacket and Dally walked closely behind me, leading the way by guiding me with his hand on my waist.

"Where are we going?" I whined.

"Shush, hun," he turned me down a street I ain't ever been before. It got quieter, streetlights were more spaced out and houses got crappier. "Down here," he turned me down an alley between two houses.

"Where the hell are you taking me?" I whispered.

Dally just locked his hand with mine because it got darker the further we walked. I could barely see but Dally was walking just fine.

"Up," Dally grabbed my waist and nudged me towards a stone wall.

I looked at what I could see of him and shook my head, "Dallas where are we going?"

"Just trust me," he lifted me off the ground so I could pull myself over the wall. He then jumped over with ease. "Down," he yanked my arm and dropped down low, a light shined in our direction and Dally held his hand over my mouth.

"You're crazy!" I whisper yelled once the light went away.

We stood up and began walking some more, down a 4-foot cliff, over a pile of rocks and into a section of trees. My feet began hurting but we were too far into wherever we were heading to stop.

"Right here," Dally stopped at a patch of grass in the middle of dirt and sticks.

I looked at him for a long moment, "what the hell is this?"

"Sit," he gestured to the grass and sat down as well. "C' mon, sit."

"I hate you," I rolled my eyes and sat next to him. He pulled me close to him and draped his arm around me.

"Me and Ponyboy were walking around this area last year and I remember him saying something about it being a nice place for a midnight date... I don't know why or how but I thought you'd like it since you sometimes know what that kid is talking about."

I smiled and cuddled up next to him, "Ponyboy has a fascination with stars. But this is very romantic of you, thank you, baby."

"I tried..." He muttered as I kissed his lips.

"Keep trying and you'll get there eventually. I love you."

Dally didn't say anything, but he tightened his grip around my waist and stuffed his face into my neck, gently kissing the crook of my neck and shoulder until he fell asleep. I soon fell asleep too.