Chapter 31

"You were gonna tell me something earlier?" I walked with Jackson outside of the movie house.

"Oh, yeah," he began, "I got a call from a friend back home, and they said they ran into dad and Madison at the store, I guess uh, dad talked to him about us."

"What'd all happen?" I sat on the curb with my cigarette in my mouth.

"I guess Madison looks in pretty rough shape, dad seemed pretty angry that we're both gone still, and he got a divorce with Jolene."

I found joy in that last statement, "really?"

"That's what I was told," he shrugged his shoulder.

I thought for a moment, "me, you, and Dally should go up there. See what is left of our stuff and bring it here."

"You want to?" he looked surprised.

I nodded my head, "I'm 18 now, so he can't try to keep me there. And he'll get even madder when he finds out me and Dally are together."

"What about Madison?"

"To hell with the little brat," I shrugged my shoulders and blew smoke from my mouth. "Let's go tonight. I already know me and Dal don't have plans."

"Okay," Jackson agreed and sat next to me.

-

We drove up to the house and I looked at Jackson, kind of nervous. We got out of the car, Dally held my hand and we walked to the house. Before Jackson knocked, I tightened my grip on Dally's hand and my heart rate picked up.

The door swung open a moment after the knock. My dad stood in front of us, his face quickly changed from bored to angrily surprised.

"Hey, dad," I said before Jackson said anything.

"Where the hell have you been?" he looked at me for a long moment before seeing me and Dally holding hands. He then looked at Dally and the look in his eyes told what he thought about us.

"I heard you got a divorce with that bitch you tried calling my stepmom," I grinned and pulled Dally into the house.

The place was a mess but Dally looked in awe at the place. I guess I never told him I used to live lavishly. I tugged him up the stairs and completely ignored Madison when she acted glad to see me. I opened my bedroom door and it was completely normal. My posters still up, bed still made and everything completely in its place. That, I wasn't expecting.

"This your room?" Dally looked around.

"Yes..." I got an immediate bad feeling. "I hate this place."

"Your house is massive," he chuckled, "I would never have left a place like this."

"Yeah, well I hate my family, so," I left the room and walked down the hall to Jackson's room.

"I didn't say you could come into my house like this," my dad grabbed my wrist.

Dally immediately put his guard up. He tugged my wrist away and moved all of me further away from my dad, "don't touch her."

"You don't belong here either," my dad scoffed at Dally and turned to Madison who was standing in her doorway watching me and Jackson. "Close your door." She slowly closed the door.

"Are you gonna get any of your stuff?" Jackson grabbed a bag and began filling it.

"That room brings back bad memories. I don't want to," I wrapped my arms around Dally's torso.

Jackson nodded his head, "after we leave here, do you wanna visit any old friends? I know Kim still lives down the street and Alex and Mason still work at the store down the road." Jackson suggested.

I smiled, "I don't want to randomly show up to Kim's house, but we should stop by the store."

"Alright, you two go wait in the car then."

-

I tugged Dally out of the car, I already saw inside the window and my old friends were inside. He was going too slow, so I let go of his hand and sped up. I opened the door, the bell rang and both of them threw their hands up when they registered it was me.

"Charlie!" Mason put down a broom and walked towards me, gave me a hug and Alex wasn't far behind him.

"Wow, it's been a while," Alex messed up my hair and leaned against the counter. "You're still hot."

"Yeah, and I don't care who you are, she has a boyfriend," Dally walked into the place with Jackson behind him.

Mason glanced at Dally then me, "since when do you date? Last time I knew you were running through the guys in this town two at a time." They both chuckled.

"I'm not 16 anymore," I smiled, "this is Dally."

"You've changed quite a bit," Mason completely ignored Dally and kept talking to me. "You left in curls and knee-length dresses."

I looked down at what I was wearing, a leather jacket over a skin-tight white dress with my red converse laced up. My hair was slicked back into a ponytail with a black ribbon hanging from it.

"Yeah, I mean look at her," Alex spun me around on his finger slowly, each of them admiring me.

Dally kept his cool but he started fidgeting with his ring, meaning he was getting worked up. I sat on the counter and the two of them stood on both sides of me.

"You ain't ever worn a dress like this when you hung around us, we had to wait until we all had a pool party to see you," Mason tapped his finger on my thigh.

"Or when she'd wear pants and bend down," Alex joked.

"Okay," Dally grabbed my hand and pulled me off the counter, "say one more thing about my girl's body and you ain't gonna live to see her walk out of here on my arm."

"Cool it, bud," Alex chuckled, "we're just playing around."

"I don't care, Charlie, we're leaving," Dally pulled me towards the door.

"No, Dally," I pulled my hand away from him, "they're my friends, just give them another chance," I begged.

He stared at me for a moment, looked at Jackson, then the two boys and sighed, "if they do as little as to even touch you in any sort of way, we're leaving."