Chapter 32

We sat in the guys' break room, I sat in the middle of Alex and Mason as we talked and caught up, Dally and Jackson stood over by the counter talking to each other.

"How long you been dating this fool?" Alex said quiet enough to where Dally couldn't hear.

I shrugged, "only a couple days, actually. We uh," I looked for a way to word it, "on my birthday we..."

"Screwed?" Mason cocked an eyebrow.

I nodded my head, "he's my roommate though, and we used to go out last year too."

"How'd y'all break up the first time?" Alex asked.

"He cheated on me a couple of days after we got together... We're fine, we've both changed a bit."

Mason put his arm around my shoulders, "you deserve better, darlin'."

"C' mon, he ain't even that good looking," Alex tapped his fingers around my thigh.

I looked at them both and rolled my eyes, "I think he's hot."

"He doesn't seem to appreciate you enough, c' mon," Alex chuckled, "I wouldn't be hauling my girl all around if she had a body like yours. We'd be in bed all the time," Alex and Mason laughed and high fived each other.

I started getting uncomfortable. When I was 16, I took all these jokes as y'know... Jokes. These guys both have always said these kinds of things to me, I guess now that I'm 18, and I have a boyfriend, it's kind of crossing some sort of line.

A couple of seconds of me just sitting there went by, and all of a sudden I was on the floor, Alex on top of me while Mason held my arms. Alex tickled me, which I absolutely despise. I screamed, wiggled around and laughed despite not wanting to. Dally stood with Jackson still, not wanting to be that jealous boyfriend.

After a moment of me screaming and laughing against my will, Alex laid down on the floor next to me laughing as well, his out of joy. Mason sat at my head laughing too. I panted, stared at the ceiling, and right as I was about to sit up, Alex moved on top of me again. Though, this time he wasn't sitting on me like before, he perched himself over me and licked his lips.

I started feeling sick to my stomach, I wanted to push him away, and right when I was going to, Dally pulled him off of me and hit him square in the eye. Jackson and Mason jumped in, Mason yelling at Dally and Jackson defending Dally.

"Why would you try to kiss her?!" Dally yelled.

Alex held his face and winced, "she seemed into me, I guess."

"Into you?!" Dally pushed him and he stumbled back into the table. "That's my girlfriend, man, I was standing right there!"

"Look at her, she's been hanging around us this whole time not you," Alex shook himself off.

I moved out of their way and watched everything go down. Mason seemed to be uncomfortable that Alex tried kissing me, but he still put up a fight against Dally. Dal yelled at Alex and roughed him up some more until Jackson pulled him away to stop him.

"We're leaving, Charlie. C' mon," Dally grabbed my hand and led me out the door. Jackson followed us to his car.

-

We sat in the living room of the Curtis house, Ponyboy on one side of me, Two-bit on the other, and Jackson talking with Soda and Dally in the kitchen. Johnny left earlier, I just didn't get why, and I was told Steve was hanging with his girlfriend.

"You two talk to me more than he does," I pouted and tossed the remote onto the coffee table.

"Y'know... He has like this tendency to flirt with a girl non-stop until they get together, then he doesn't talk to her for a week. It's a bad habit, but I wouldn't bring it up if I were you. It'd start a fight," Two-bit grabbed the remote to change the channel.

I looked at Pony hoping he'd say something I wanted to hear but he just stared at me for a moment before he caught on.

"Dallas is real... Uh... He's real tricky I guess," he shrugged his shoulders, "in all the past relationships he's never done as much as to kiss a girl around us unless he's trying to flaunt her or make another girl jealous."

"He doesn't even leave hickeys on girls because he doesn't like them having something on her body that he gave her. He doesn't care about bragging rights most the time either," Two-bit told me.

I stared at the boys standing by the kitchen and sighed, "he acts so differently when we're alone compared to when other people are with us."

Ponyboy got up, "hey, I mean if my rep was as badass as Dal's, I wouldn't want girls walking around with my name in their mouth and marks on their neck like it's nothing. I'm sorry, Charlie, unless something benefits him, he isn't gonna publicize your relationship."

"He's gonna keep it on the down-low for as long as possible, Charlie." Two pat my leg.

I went quiet and stared at Dally from across the room. There is zero amount of anything other than sex in this relationship already. He may not be open to a relationship like I am but he kind of needs to learn if he's gonna be with me. Love isn't just something you don't have.

Everyone tells me about his "inability to love" bullshit. So fucking what, he had a bad childhood. He never really had that person to love growing up. We're adults now though. I just turned 18, he turned 19 back in November, I just... I'm not gonna buy that he won't ever love.