Chapter 18

"You didn't have to send him to a hospital, Jackson!" I got into my brother's car as soon as he pulled up. Of course, his friends were in the backseat.

"He made you cry-"

"Damn it, you don't love me or know me or care about me enough to go and pull a damn stunt like that! Sodapop is in the fucking hospital because of you three idiots," I looked at the two in the backseat.

"The worst we could have given him was some shock and maybe a black eye. He didn't need a hospital," Jackson pulled out of the driveway.

"Well, now none of my friends will talk to me. Even Buck is mad at me after he heard what you three did," I crossed my arms after putting my seatbelt on.

He sighed, "I'm sorry, Charlie. We thought you'd appreciate us teaching him a lesson..."

"Yeah, not a 3 against 1 lesson. Jackson, you could have handled it yourself," I looked out the window.

"I said I'm sorry, Charolette, I can't take it back now so stop," Jackson stopped at a red light.

I looked at him, "don't ever call me Charolette. No one is to know my real name." Jackson chuckled and shook his head in disapproval.

-

"Hey, Charlie," Two-bit walked into the bar and sat at a stool, "how've you been?"

I set a beer in front of him, "how do you think?" I shook my head, "damn it I yelled at Jackson and his friends, I just hate having you mad at me."

"Sodapop woke up the other night. He's doing okay, Pony is with him right now because Darry couldn't get the time off... I talked to him and he wants to see you."

I couldn't believe him, "seriously, Two? I have never been in a worse state of mind in my life. I've never been called more names by someone I cared about so much in my life, no one has ever made me feel that bad about myself and my personality. You want me to go talk to him?"

Two-bit took a sip of his beer and shrugged, "I'm just the messenger, Charlie. He told me that he isn't mad, that Jackson probably knocked some sense into him, he just wants to see you."

"Well, I have work. Come by tonight and we can figure this out but until then its a no. No, I don't want to see the guy that called me a princess, bitch, a slut, a manipulative bitch," I shook my head, "no."

Two-bit put his hand on mine and nodded, "I'll stop by tonight."

-

"Charlie," Sodapop approached me and Jackson while we ate at Larry's. Jackson immediately stood up but I pointed to his seat to sit down.

I turned around and shook my head, "I'm not ready to talk to you. I told Two that earlier."

"C' mon, I got out of the hospital a couple of hours ago but I waited until you were off work to come to find you." He stood by my booth.

"Back off, man," Jackson stood up again, "she doesn't want to see you."

"Hey, I'm not talking to you, stay out of it," Soda glared at Jackson. "Charlie, c' mon..."

"You hurt me so much, Sodapop... I'm done with this, with us," I looked at him for a moment then pushed my food away from me.

"Don't cry..." He set his hand on my shoulder but I moved myself away.

"Go... Just leave me alone," I fanned my eyes for a second and turned my body away from him. He gave up and walked away from us.

That marked the end of my friendship with the gang. Two-bit of course is an exception. I don't talk to Sodapop, and I don't talk to his brothers or Steve or Johnny. Life for the next month was just me, Two-bit and occasionally Jackson. Life with Two-bit couldn't be more amazing though.

I went back to being happy, I wasn't stressing about Sodapop, my brother, Dallas. Me and Two-bit just lived in the moment for the rest of our time alone together. Many late nights running around town with flasks in our hands and a pack of cigs in our pockets. Many days of me working and him stopping by to check in on me, give me a hug and run out with a beer in his hand to catch up with the gang, who I knew he strayed away from to come in and see me.

Many times of me getting the attention of rich boys so Two-bit could flirt with the rich girls around, I'd tie my hair up and purse my lips, sway my hips and do some talking. A lot of "wow, you fellas really know how to make a girl swoon"... "yeah, you know I really get tired of those greasers sometimes"... "gee, you sure are handsome. We don't get guys like you over on the east side". Then they'd decide which one gets me, call each other out on which ones have girls already, and by the time they figure it out, Two-bit already has a coke thrown in his face and we're getting the hell out of there.

As of me and Jackson, well, we don't talk much. He comes by the bar to say hello every couple days but he's only around for less than an hour at a time. He has been asking me to hang out with him, outside of grabbing a bite to eat but I just get a feeling he's trying to get me to be his magnet like I am Two-bit's. A handsome guy going out of his way to hang out with his little sister? How cute... But I'll be left sitting on the sidewalk while Jackson makes out with some broad in the backseat of the car.

But then again, he is my brother... Hanging out with him shouldn't be too bad, and he did go out of his way to come to Tulsa to find me. Actually, he went out of his way to track down my ex, ask him where I went and drove here to find me. Now, we aren't ever gonna be best friends like Sodapop is with his siblings, but I bet with a little effort and some patience me and him could figure a little something out. Of course, I'd have to have a lot of pep talks from Two.