Chapter 4

Nick's P.O.V.
Do you know what it's like to get a baby sister? I don't. I was two years old and I can't remember when she was born. I remember how high up in the sky I was when Frankie was born.

Do you know what it's like to have a baby sister? I do. It's amazing. She is so beautiful. She always has been. I used to watch her sleep all the time. I had my parents tell me that I'd been doing that from the day she had been born.

She always slept so peaceful. Like she had no worries in that little mind of hers.

Growing up, we were really close. I've always felt closer to her. She always told me everything that was going on in her life and her mind.

When she grew up into her teens, that stopped. She still talked to me, but less about everything. I got it though, I understand that as a teenage girl, you don't want to share all of that with your older brother. I respected her wishes. There are things in life you'd rather discuss with your mother.

Now we don't even talk anymore. I know it's completely my fault for drowning our close bond. She can't be blamed. I stopped responding to her. Why? I don't know. I do regret everything I put her through.

I don't even like her Instagram posts anymore. Why? I have no idea. When I miss her, I usually scroll down her Instagram page to see her. She is still so beautiful, with that beautiful smile of hers.

It's a shame she barely shows her smile, but I guess mom, dad, Kevin, Joe, Pippa, Frankie and basically the whole world would say the same about my smile.

"Get out of your thoughts. We need to practice." Joe slapped the back of my head.

"Sorry." I mumbled.

Joe nods and Kevin starts playing the intro to the song called Please Be Mine.

The song reminds me of the the brotherly/sisterly bond we share together. I'll always be there for her, even though I'm not right now. I hope I'll see her soon.

Why didn't I visit Frankie and Pippa earlier? It's so easy to take the car and drive it home to where they are.

But they are busy with school and their own lives. It's not that easy.

I don't pay attention to what I'm playing anymore and I mess up the whole song.

"Okay, that's it. Go check your sugar." Joe said pointing towards my backpack on the couch.

I sigh, sag my shoulders and give him a look.

Kevin shakes his head behind Joe with a slight smile lingering on his face.

I put my guitar off and walk over to check it.

I wait for the meter to beep. It beeps once, meaning my sugar level is in range.

"Happy now?" I ask Joe. He gives me a nod.

"Thank you."

We start playing again, but it's only a matter of minutes before I mess up again.

"What's going on now?" Joe sighs.

"We should pay Frankie and Pippa a visit. Now." I tell them.

"Yeah, we do. But not now." Joe responds.

"Cut the guy some slack, Joe. There's nothing going on." Kevin defends me.

"He's not focused. That's bad!" Joe exclaims.

"Joe, please?" Kevin begs him.

I sigh, take off my guitar and sit down on the couch. From the corner of my eyes I see Kevin follow my actions and soon the couch dips where he sits down. I turn my head farther away from him.

"You don't have to tell what's bugging you right now, but soon you'll have to tell. My door is always open, you know that." Kevin tells me.

I decide to turn towards him. "I can't feel anything other than guilt right now." I tell him.

"Why?" He asks me. "We abandoned them. Don't you feel that too? It's like we've walked right out of their lives." I tell him.

"That's not true." I know he's only denying to not feel the guilt that I feel.

"Oh really? What's playing in their lives? Tell me now. Tell me if Frankie has worked himself into any trouble lately. Tell me if Pippa has been interested in any boys lately." I don't want to make him feel guilty, but I have to see them.

It's breaking my mind and thoughts that I can't even explain why. Why did we abandon them? Since when have we stopped hanging out? What was the last thing we did as a family?

"Frankie for a change, hasn't worked himself in any trouble lately." I cut him off before he could continue with Pippa.

"And who told you that? Mom? Dad? Frankie himself? I'd be surprised if your answer is Frankie." I say.

"Mom." He speaks barely above a whisper.

"Thought so." I retort.

"But Pippa is unfair. She only talks about those things with you. She only ever shares that kind of information with Joe and I if she is really serious with a boy." I have to give this one to him, but I'm not gonna give up.

"She hasn't told me anything. The last text I got was four months ago." I exclaim.

"Why haven't you texted her more recently? It's not like Joe and I keep you from contacting your other siblings." With that the conversation is over.

"I'm going to go home now." I stand up and walk over towards the door. "Wait. Nick." I don't stop walking.

"Nicky..." I stop walking. It's been a while since I've been called Nicky. I hate it, but I also know they mean business when they call me Nicky.

"We'll go home if it makes you happy. I know I can speak for both Kevin and I when I say we'll be very happy to see them too. We just can't right now. Not with this hostility under us. They'll know for sure. I don't want to put that kind of pressure on them when seeing them after so long." Joe tells me.

I turn to look at Joe and I can see the sadness in his eyes. "We'll go see them. I promise." He promises me.