Chapter 37

Sorry for the long wait... but 15k?? That's huge!!!
Sad thing is that I'm running out of ideas for this story...

Nick's P.O.V.
I had been knocked out on the couch until Joe burst in, called an emergency family meeting and put on some old news.

I'm in my hoody underneath a blanket as if I'm sick. I am sick due to my blood sugar doing all sorts of things that it shouldn't be doing. I know I can handle it better, but I'm just not up for it. It is draining me. Basically a downwards spiral. My heart shatters a little more every day.

We watch the news together and when a picture of Pippa appears, it catches my attention and I reach for Joe's arm for mental support.

He hesitantly reaches over to let me grab his sleeve.

Mom sat down in shock as soon as she saw Pippa and dad didn't change. Keeping himself together as he watches the item.

"How did you find this?" Kevin asks Joe as the news item finishes.

"I saw when I met up with Philip." Joe answers. I release his arm.

"Now everyone knows she's gone." Frankie states. "Do you think we'll get her back?" Joe asks us. Mom pulls herself up from the couch and hugs Joe, pulling his head against her chest. "I wish I could tell you what you want to heat, but I can't."

It's quiet for a minute until a sob escapes from Joe's mouth.

I sit there kind of frozen, not knowing what else to do other then look around and get lost in thoughts with my hood pulled up under the blanket.

As soon as the sob reaches all of our ears, Frankie runs off towards upstairs.

"I'll go check on him." Kevin wants to go, but dad motions for him to stay and goes upstairs himself.

Kevin sits down on the side rest of the couch and places his hand on my head. Sometimes my brothers and sister need physical contact to like, support us or themselves.

Mom takes care of Joe and Kevin drags me with him into the kitchen. "Sit." He points to one of the chairs at the table. I oblige.

Kevin walks behind the counter island and kneels to grab something from a cabinet. He gets back up quick and I shake my head immediately, seeing the package in his hand. It's a kit. My kit.

"Yes, Nick. We're going to test. You've lost a lot of weight ever since Pippa left and you're not healthy." I sigh, knowing he's right. But I'm still going to fight him off. No way that he is going to test me. My levels will be on the floor. I know, because I don't feel so well. I am not important though. Pippa is important. She is missing.

I hide my hands under the table to keep Kevin from reaching my fingers. He starts pulling on my arms, but I refuse to let him win.

"I won't hesitate to crawl under the table and test you there or use your toes." He says with his stern voice.

My face cringes. That's gross. I give in and stick my fingers out for him to poke. "Any preferences today?" He asks me knowing I switch fingers every once in a while. I shake my head.

"Not very talkative again, are we?" Kevin asks me sadly. "What's there to tell? Everyone knows how I'm feeling. Everyone seems to know everything about me better than I do. So why talk? It's not going to bring Pippa back. If she's dead, life is over. Over." I repeat to put extra emphasis on the over.

He pricks my finger and tests the blood. It beeps twice. I hate the sound. "I'll prepare you some food." He says putting the meter on the table in front of me and walks back to the counters and fridge to get me something.

I sit in silence and grab the meter to look at the number. 49. It should be above 70. If I drop more, or if the food Kevin is preparing won't help me, I'd have to go for a glucose tab. If by that time I'm conscious enough to take it myself.

Kevin will most likely force it down again, because I'm too stubborn and neglecting myself, even though I know perfectly well what it does to me.

"Eat." Kevin uses his stern voice again as he drops a plate with food in front of me. He pulls the hood back so that I can't use it to hide anymore and sits across from me. He folds his arms in front of him. "Is this necessary?" I whine.

"Yes, as long as you act like a child, you will be watched like a child."

"Can you stop this as soon as Pippa gets back?" I ask him.

"Will you get better as soon as Pippa gets back?" He fires back at me.

I keep quiet. I can't answer his question. This goes deeper than the missing of Pippa, but I can't tell him that. He'll murder me.

"No." I finally whisper.

"Then I will watch you until you get better. I do it because I love you Nick. I hate to see you like this. You know that. All I want is for you guys to be happy and healthy. Right now, you're none of those and I failed my job." He explains.

"It's not your job. You didn't sign up to deal with... well... this." I refer to myself.

"No. I didn't, but I would have signed up anyways." I know he would have. Just as I would have signed up for the same job for Pippa and Frankie. I have it much easier than Kevin and I really respect him for what he does for all of us.

He even keeps his own family beside all of this. He's expecting a child, and yet, he is here all the time. Dragging my sorry ass off the couch all the time and supporting Joe and helping Joe to support me and I really don't make it easy on them.

I am a terrible brother. I couldn't keep my younger ones safe and now I'm making my elder brothers' lives hell by doing this, while they, themselves, are also busy with the younger ones I couldn't keep safe.

I don't want to sound stupid or desperate, but it there is anything you'd like to see or if you have anything you'd think could or would happen, please comment or even send me a message and let me know!