Chapter 51

And we've passed 50 chapters!!! I never thought I'd be able to keep this up for so long. It's amazing! Thank you!!

Joe's P.O.V.
I went to go see Nick on my own. Everyone's got something to do. I think they all need to get their minds off some things and don't want to upset Nick by going to see him while being upset.

I knocked on his door and went to open the door. I walk in, close the door, and sit on a seat beside him.

"Hey." I got a small hey back from Nick in response. "How are you doing?" I ask him. He's staring into nothingness.

"Could be better. I'm tired." Nick is still not okay. The Nick I know would deny everything. So he would say he is fine or okay. Not that he could be better.

"Aren't you sleeping enough?" He shrugs in response. "They're trying to regulate my Diabetes a bit, but even they are failing my numbers right now." He sighs like he's given up again.

"So you're tired in general or your numbers make you feel tired?" I question him.

Nick shrugs again. "I wish I knew. You alone today?" He asks me.

"Yeah. Dad had a meeting scheduled. Danielle and Kevin got another doctors appointment. Mom is taking care of chores in the house like laundry, cleaning and grocery shopping and Pippa is clearly in need for a good night sleep. She had a nightmare last night. Kept her up half of the night." I don't even have to ask to know that he and I both feel stupid for letting her nightmares come back to her.

"What does the doctor say about all of this. Any progression being made?" He shakes his head.

"Not really. Still on suicide watch" I flinch when he says those words. "and my numbers aren't cooperating, so I'm not really sure what's going to happen to me. I don't even know if they are going to let me go home if I'm allowed to go."

"What do you mean?" He looks up at me with a lot of fear present in his eyes. "What if they send me away? I don't want to go somewhere else. I want to go home." He almost cries.

"Like an asylum?" I never thought that a place like that could even be an option for him. If they can help him, I'm willing to send him there first before taking him home safe.

I don't want him to try something again. I could have lost my little brother and it would have killed me. He is my best friend. Nick is my best friend.

Nick nods sadly. "They can't put you in an asylum." But if they can help him... I don't want to freak him out right now. He looks like he's going to freak if I even try to get him to open up to the idea.

He grabbed his phone from the nightstand next to his bed and showed me his social media. He's obviously getting a lot of hate. I take the phone from his hand and scroll down through his mentions. It's fifty-fifty mostly. A lot of hate, as I suspected, but also a lot of love with edits and wishes for him to get well.

After a while I hand him his phone back. "Some fans are nice." I smile. "Yeah, they are." He starts fumbling with his fingers. "Do you want to tell them." He starts shaking his head. "No please no. I don't ever want to tell anyone. They'll hurt me of they know." He grabs onto my arm tightly.

"Who will hurt you?" I question him. "The fans. They'll tell me to do worse. You know how much hate we sometimes get. They'll only use it to hate on me more. I can't handle that, Joe. I can't I can't."

"Hey hey. It's okay." I calm him down.

"It'll be okay. I can't promise they'll never figure it out. Every magazine is already confirming your suicide based on nothing. Dad is handling that already. He's getting it to change to a Diabetes emergency, which it kind off is, isn't it?" He hesitates before nodding unsurely.

"We'll be with you, whatever happens. We'll always be there for you." I promise him. He nods again.

"I know. I can't do it without any of you."

"I know that. I'm irreplaceable." I try to turn it into a joke and it works, because Nick starts laughing with me.

"Your ego is higher than the roof of this hospital." Nick says.

"I know." I flick my hair back as if I'm really proud of that, which I secretly am. You can't love yourself if you don't make the best of it.

Nick needs to learn how to do that. He can live without us, he just thinks he can't, which makes him act like he can't.

Nick yawns, making me yawn as well. "Try to get some sleep. I'll stay here." I tell him.

He shakes his head. "You didn't come here to watch me sleep." He says.

"I didn't come here to watch you at all. I came here to keep you company, which I will continue when you are asleep." I recount my use of words.

"Fine." He must be really tired, otherwise he would have never given in so quickly.

He turns onto his side and I start running my hand through his curls. He doesn't like to be touched, but it does soothe him and help him fall into a restless slumber more easily.

I keep running my hands through his hair even after a while and I'm sure he is asleep.

"You'll always be my little brother. I will protect you to the best I can and I will always have your back." I tell him, even though I know he is asleep.

I watch him and seeing him asleep, he looks so vulnerable in the hospital bed. Not the tough brother I know who does everything in his power to keep everything in his life a secret and to himself.

He'll always be my little brother who came to me for help when he finally got it through his head that he needs his brothers every once in a while.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you liked it!!! If there's anything you'd like to see, please leave a comment or a dm and I will see what I can do! Anything is helpful/useful, so please don't hesitate to tell me your ideas!!