Chapter Twenty-Two: Lovetalker

A group of faerie women clustered together on the edge of the forest. They wore heavy dresses and clothing. The silks they wore painted reds, greens, and dark purple. Most of the women were pale and long haired filled with flowers, jewels, sticks, and silk. A couple of them were dark. Faeries always have extreme. If someone was pale, they looked translucent. If they were dark, it was like someone dimmed them in ink. Some had horns sprouting from their head, some didn't. They whispered to one another and giggled.

"Drake, do you know them?" I asked, walking by them.

Drake hummed and looked over at the women. "No, they look like ordinary noble women though."

"But they've been there from the last few days though," I said.

Drake hummed again and looked over at the women. "You're right, but maybe they're exploring the human world the first time and are a little shy."

There are a lot o words I would use to describe faeries. Shy is not one of them. 

Argh, I didn't like it. I shook my head and pulled my bag tighter to my shoulder before crossing the street.

"It's still weird."

"I'm starting to think you're paranoid."

"And why would I be paranoid?" I asked with a heavy dose of sarcasm. 

"I am not sure. I am protecting you now and with you wearing the blood charm, you'll be even stronger." 

"Do I get super powers?" 

"Super?" Drake asked. 

"Never mind, Drake," I said.

The autumn walk calmed me down. This stupid charm is so obnoxious. I didn't like how weirdly close it made Drake to me. He's too close. Everything felt so tangled.  I had too many emotions wrapped up in this. I wanted to step back and claim some part of this very human life of mine. My life was still human. I am still human. 

I went into work. People fluttered around me and models got ready for another shoot. I heard my shoulder pop as I put my bag down.

"That didn't sound good." Drake said, flying in front of my face.

I glared.

"Well, that's a scary face."

"Drake, I'm beat to hell still," I said, "that's what happens when I fight a troll."

"Matty!"

I groaned before turning around to see Jorge looking down at me. He wore a pleasant smile that had a hint of don't fuck with me before he pushed up his glasses.

"Hi, what's up?" I said. I hated that smile. It made me nervous.

"I have an assignment for you."

I nodded and waited.

"Eloy."

Crap. 

"Please don't make me do this." I said to Jorge.

"I don't think begging is going to help much." Drake said, sitting on top of my head.

Jorge frowned and folded his arms over his chest. "You like Eloy and his music. He forgave you after you kneed him."

"I told you he was being an ass."

"I know, but that doesn't mean you can knee someone."

I rolled my eyes. It's amazing what customers were able to get away with.