Chapter Twenty-Four: Dragon's Skin

Once upon a time, I had a prince.

A fucking prince. A tall, handsome prince who promised to take me away from a world filled with loud adults calling me a liar and pills that made me sick.

But then he disappeared.

But it was okay because I had Lowell.

                                                                                       _______

Phone dings. 

Rose: What are you doing tonight? 

Me: Reading comics. 

Rose: On a Saturday night? 

Me: Yup. I've had a week. 

(Huge understatement.) 

Rose: Ugh, you're lame. 

I turn the phone off after sending her a photo of me, flipping her off with my tongue out at her. I went back to my sofa with a stack of comic books. 

"W-What is that? Is this some kind of human mating?" Drake asked, as he glanced down at the comic book page. Some zombie was trying to eat the face off one of the characters. 

Tonight was a good night. No photoshoots to get ready. No weird faerie things. I even got Antonio to start staying with Keeva at the bar. Eloy hadn't bothered me and the photos for him turned out to be a big hit. I wasn't tight on cash so I didn't have to freelance for the month. I almost felt normal. 

"Not exactly," I said as I heard someone knock at the door.

I sat up. The only person who would come and bug me this late on a Saturday-

"Matty!" I opened the door and Lowell hugged me tightly.

"You smell like puke," I grumbled into his shoulders as I looked behind him to see some of his college friends.

"He aced his exams." One of them said. "Thought it'd be best if we left him here."

Of course they did.

"Shut the door for me, will you?" I asked as they did.

"Great, the boy," Drake muttered, flying behind me. 

"Oh shut it," I said as Lowell leaned in on me.

"I found the perfect Halloween costume today!" Lowell said as I put him on the sofa.

"Cool," I said.

"For the party!"

"Okay," I said as I helped him get out of his jacket. This seemed to let him think it was okay for him to get out of all his clothes because he threw his shirt off and then his pants. "Lowell, keep your pants on!" I yelled.

"Oh come on, Matty, you've seen me naked hundreds of times."

Drake landed on top of my head. "Hundreds of times, eh?"

"Of for god's sakes, Lowell, you're an adult now. Things have changed."

Lowell turned his whole body toward me. "You and me though, we don't change, right?" He slurred as he slumped over onto my sofa again. "We'll always be good, right? No matter what?" The slurring gave his words an extra s. His body wobbled and swayed as he bobbed his head up and down to a song playing on my laptop. "I'll come running when you call me!" He sang and danced around me.