Damien: Trust

(Something I should've said in the intro, these imagines won't affect the preferences. They're just one-shots. One and done. 👍🏻)

"Damien, are you sure about this?", you ask him, looking up at him as you stand outside the looming building.

"I saw his picture on their Facebook site, and I could swear something was pulling at me to adopt him.", he tells you, grabbing your hand.

"We haven't even done the paperwork yet. We're just going to see what he's like.", you remind him, squeezing his hand to get his attention.

He nods, but you know he didn't hear a word you had said.

You both went up the steps and entered the building.

"Good afternoon! How may I help you?", an older lady asked you.

"We're here for a visit with one of the boys here.", you inform her.

"Which boy?", he holds out a list.

You point at the boys name.

Hudson Isaac.

"You're Damien and (Y/N) Haas?", she asked, looking through the list on the front desk.

"Yep!", you both show her your ID's.

"Perfect!", she leads you to a room with a single table.

There's a tote of toys in the corner and another table with some water bottles and cookies on it.

Damien refused to show you the picture of the boy so you'd be surprised, and you had refrained from ruining it by looking it up yourself.

When the door opened, a boy walked in.

He had bright, short, red hair. His eyes were a beautiful green, and red freckles dotted his face.

Damien watched you with a smirk as he could tell you had already fallen in love with him.

"How are you?", you ask, trying to hide the emotion in your voice.

He sits down in the chair across from you and Damien.

"Good.", he mumbles.

"How old are you, buddy?", Damien asks the boy.

"Eleven.", he replies quietly.

"Well, I'm (Y/N) and this is Damien. He plays video games and acts for a living, and I am a wedding planner.", you tell him about the two of you.

"We do have a golden-doodle at home, so we do hope you're okay with having a dog around the house.", Damien tells the boy.

You both quiet down, to let Hudson talk or ask any questions.

The room gets an awkward aura about it.

"Do you have any questions for us?", Damien asks him slowly.

He shakes his head.

You look at each other.

You notice the camera in the corner as the door opens.

"Hudson. Take a cookie and go on ahead back to your room.", the woman tells him gently.

He takes a cookie and walks quickly out of the room.

"I'm very sorry about that. He often disassociates.", the woman tells you.

"I want him.", you say.

Damien looks surprised.

"Really? He didn't look like he liked us very much.", Damien says sheepishly, now unsure of his decision.

"Well, he does have trust issues. But, he really is a sweet kid.", the woman assures you.

"Where's the necessary paperwork needed for his adoption?", you ask her.

Her eyebrows raise, but she leaves the room.

"(Y/N), are you sure? It'll be a really big challenge for us. Not only will he have to get used to us, we have to get used to him.", Damien mutters, and you can see him thinking about the logistics.

"Damien. It's not about us. It's about him. If we have to adapt to him, so be it. He needs us. I can tell.", you beg him, taking his hands.

"Fine.", he gives in to your persuasion.

You smile, kissing him.

The woman comes back in after a few minutes, and you begin filling out some of the paperwork.

"Do you want to tell him?", she asks.

"You can do it, baby. I'll finish the paperwork.", Damien smiles at you.

You excitedly shoot up out of your chair and follow the woman.

Hudson's room is bare, and he seems to be alone.

"Hudson?", the woman knocks on the doorway.

He turns around, and he seems surprised to see me.

"Hey, buddy. How would you like to come home with us?", you ask slowly.

His eyes widen as he processes the information, reminding you of how Damien does the same thing.

You open your arms, and he instinctively gives you a hug.

"Thank you.", he whispers.

Tears involuntarily fall down your cheeks.

You take his hand and lead him back to where he had been an hour ago.

Damien smiles at the sight and lean towards Hudson.

However, Hudson hides behind you, refusing to let Damien touch him.

Damien backs up, apologizing to the boy.

"Let's get in the car, should we?", you ask your new son.

He nods, still staying on the opposite side of Damien.

"Do you want a picture?", the woman asks.

You nod.

You each sit in a chair, and Hudson sits on your lap.

Smiling for the picture, you can tell how tense the boy is.

When she hands your phone back, you help him into the car and post the picture.

At home, you show him his room and all around the house.

"What's the dog's name?", he asks you.

He's already asked you a bunch of questions, surprising you.

"Roxy. Do you want to take her out to play? She's really good at fetch.", you offer.

He takes a ball and goes outside.

You find Damien in your bedroom with his hands over his face.

"You okay?", you sit next to him and gently rub his back.

"He doesn't like me (Y/N).", he says, giving you a heartbroken look.

"Did you read his file? Maybe there's a reason.", you suggest.

"He was abused by his father. His mother brought him to the orphanage to save his life.", he says without having to reference the file.

"That's why then, babe. He's scared.", you tell him.

"I want him to know I'm different. I want him to know he can trust me.", Damien sighs.

You nod, staying silent.

"Try engaging with him more? He just needs to know you'll be there for him no matter what he does.", you encourage Damien.

"Hey, Hudson? Can I play fetch with you?", Damien asks out the window.

You smile at the interaction, cherishing the moment.

Thank you for reading! 😀❤️