Ian: Out of the Loop

"I'm so excited that I feel like I'm going to implode soon!", your daughter Carly screeches from the backseat.

"I know right? If she even looks in my direction, I'm totally going to blow up into a thousand little pieces.", her best friend Audrey replies.

"Please don't. I promised your Mom I would have you back safe in one piece.", you grin at the two teens in the backseat.

For Carly's birthday, you had gotten her two tickets to see Billie Eilish at the convention center close to your house.

They had meet and greet passes as well, but the whole package was so expensive that you had only bought tickets and passes for the two of them.

You had bought the cheapest ticket you could find for yourself, deciding to sit outside in the hallways instead of actually watching the concert.

"Here we are!", you announce as you drive into the parking garage.

The girls go ahead and get into the elevator as you take down the stairs.

"Be safe, and make sure to come right out to find me when the concert is done.", you tell the girls.

Giving them some money for merch and snacks, they race away to find the merch booth.

You stand in line for the concession stand, and you hear a loud argument behind you.

"Dad! I don't want to go with just her! You bought a ticket just to sit out in the lobby?", a girl lectures her bearded father while another girl turns red as she ignores the yelling.

"Honey, it's Jasmine's graduation present. You go with her, or you sit out here with me.", he sighs, looking very stressed.

You order nachos and sit on a padded bench outside the girl's section.

Pulling out your laptop, you open up your project for work that you were almost done with.

As you put a chip covered with artificial, orange cheese into your mouth, the bearded man from earlier sat on the bench next to you.

You pretend not to notice as you start shading in a logo a client had requested that you designed for them instead of engaging conversation with the man next to you.

"That's really good.", he says.

You ignore him as you don't want to see if he's actually talking to you or someone else.

"Are you an artist of some type?", he asks again.

This time, you look up and make eye contact with him. He definitely had been talking to you as the hallways were like a desert.

Completely empty.

"Um, yeah. I'm a graphic artist for a company that makes logos, T-shirt designs, and stuff like that.", you mumble back to him, continuing to color in the logo for a new bank.

"No way! This is perfect! I've been trying to find a graphic artist for a project, but I can't book our regular one!", he says excitedly as you smile without knowing what he's talking about.

"I might be able to do it, depending. What project are you talking about?", you question him, pulling up a new document.

"I work for this YouTube channel called Smosh, and we do these summer games with our entire crew. We need T-shirt's for this year's apocalypse theme.", he explains.

"What are you thinking for a design?", you change your pen size and change the color to black.

"One would be like a cartoony teacup with a toxic flower or something in it, and the other like a mushroom cloud that comes off of an atomic bomb?", he tries to think about it as he tells you.

You jot down the instructions as you start sketching the different designs.

"Sort've like this?", you show him your drawings.

"Those look so sick! The teams are Toxic Tea and Mushroom Clout, so anything that pops into mind for those, you can sure change the concepts if you have something better.", he shrugs, still looking at the rough sketches.

"I'll work on these tomorrow at my fancy drawing pad desk.", you inform him with a smile as you tuck your laptop away.

Slow yet loud music starts seeping out from the doors into the hallways.

"Did you bring a kid?", the man asks.

"Yeah, my daughter Carly and her best friend. I got the tickets for her birthday.", you reply, thinking about the look on her face when she read the tickets.

"I brought my two daughters. My oldest is a low key lover of this singer, but my youngest is diehard. She also hates her sister, so there was a bit of an argument when I told them I wasn't going to go in with them.", he rubs the back of his neck as he thinks about the public argument.

"I never caught your name.", you change the subject, trying to make him feel better.

"Ian. Ian Hecox. What's your name?", he looks into your eyes.

"(Y/N) (L/N). Nice to meet you, Ian!", you shake his hand with a bright smile.

He smiles back, shaking your hand back.

"So what do you do on your YouTube channel?", you ask him.

He describes the different channels, the different people that he works with and their different roles on the channel, how his channel almost got lost last year, and he explains more about the summer games they hold.

"Sounds like a ton of fun!", you compliment him, almost jealous about how cool his job seems.

"I wish I had an opening to offer you, but we just filled our last opening the other day.", he sighs.

"It's totally fine. I love my job! Yours just sounds super fun!", you assure him.

Suddenly, the doors burst open and multitudes of children start flooding out.

"It's over already?", Ian gasps in surprise.

You shrug, but you wave at the girls as they head towards you.

"That was the coolest concert ever! Thank you so much for the tickets and the money and everything!", Carly gives you a hug before she pulls Audrey into the hug too.

"Go on out to the car, I have to finish up my stuff.", you tell them before handing Carly the keys.

You scribble down your number and email on a sticky note as you approach Ian whose daughters are telling him all about the concert.

"Excuse me girls.", he says, stepping away to come towards you.

"Here. Email me if you have any questions about the design. And the number, it's there if you want it.", you wink before walking away.

Ian heads back to his daughters.

"Didn't think you had it in you, old man. Good job!", Jasmine compliments him as he rolls his eyes at her.

Happy reading! ❤️