Chapter 2

After grabbing the last book she needed, The Standard Books of Spells: Grade Seven, Hermione trudged towards Professor Flitwicks class and proceeded to wait for Ron and Harry. Neither of them were visible to her sight, making her agitated and a little left out. Ever since the war ended, they became so distant to her, especially Ron, and it's been slowly breaking her heart. Not to mention, she hasn't really been talking to anyone because those two were the main people she spoke with in her years of Hogwarts.

Hermione, in frustration, decided just to head to class. She eventually found her way to the class and pushed the door to the Charms room ajar, glancing into the silent, nearly empty space. Professor Flitwick was waving his wand around in the air, words writing out on the black board legibly. Only a few students were there, just sitting down or chatting quietly, no one making much movement. Books were stacked along the walls on top of shelves and papers were scattered all over the professors desk. There was one enormous window, showing little light but enough to brighten up the dim room. The seats were lined up, two rows of seats on each side, one row being slightly taller than the other. Hermione sat herself down on the left side, first row, a few seats down from a boy with blonde, curly hair, and buff, muscular arms. He was jotting notes down from the board and appeared to be writing in cursive, sparking Hermione's interests.

"Are you writing in cursive?" She asked curiously.

"Yes, actually. I learned it in Muggle Studies last year. Fascinating, isn't it?" He replied, causing Hermione to frown. She thought that maybe he had muggle parents, but at least he takes enthusiasm in muggles. She nodded her head, turning back to face forward, pulling a strand of hair behind her ear waiting for class to begin. A few minutes later, more Gryffindor students clomped in, glum expressions on their faces. She saw Neville Longbottom, a former friend, stomp in with books gathered in his hand and his wand grasped in his other. She smiled at him, giving him a small wave and he grinned back, his face blushing red as he took a seat opposite to her across the room. Moments later Ron and Harry came jumping into the room excitedly, Harry plopping beside Hermione and Ron next to him. They both smelled terribly of dirt, and mud, but Hermione decided against questioning them.

The short, midget professor walked on top of a desk placed centered in the room, and hopped on top of a gigantic book in order to make himself taller than everyone. A small candlelight sat atop another big book in front of him. He scratched his long, white beard, flattening his mustache, and gleamed at the students, raising his dull, somewhat thick wand in the air.

"I'm so happy to be seeing you all again! It's great and just amazing what the Headmistress is doing for us. Things couldn't be more wonderful!" He exclaimed and for a good twenty minutes went on about this. After a while he finally mustered, "I think we should get a grip of the basics again before we continue into the year. Ah, let's see, what about the disarming charm? Who here knows how to perform this spell?" Hermione's hand shot up, which no one was surprised to see and the professor called on her happily.

"The disarming spell, otherwise known as the Expelliarmus spell, is used to, well, obviously, disarm someone. The incantation for the spell is expelliarmus and you simply point your wand at your indicated target whilst saying the incantation," Hermione explained thoroughly.

"Great job! 10 points to Gryffindor," Professor Flitwick announced, "I'm going to pair you up and you're going to practice this charm for the remainder of class. No homework." Hermione waited eagerly for him to inform her who was to be her partner, hoping desperately it wasn't Ron. As much as she wanted to embarrass him, knowing his magic skills, she didn't want to go through anything awkward and would much rather avoid it.

"Hermione Granger and Harry Potter," The professor spoke, a smile creeping at Hermione's lips. She hopped up excitedly, pulling Harry with her to an open space in the room. They stood a few feet away from one another. Harry grinned at her and Hermione returned the favor, waiting for the professors signal to start. Hermione spaced her feet out a little, holding onto her wand tightly and smirking at Harry who seemed way out of it. He was standing still, his wand held loosely against his side as he mouthed things over to Ron, who was paired up with Neville. Suddenly the professor said, "Go!"