Chapter 23

Hermione looked over at Draco, pain etched in her eyes. She had to make a huge decision, one that might change everyone's lives. Lucius could do anything to her, perhaps even kill her, but if she doesn't obey him the whole school might die. Lucius could be lying, maybe he doesn't have the death eaters and dementors. But the coldness in the room proved otherwise. Now that she was thinking about it, the room was very cold at the beginning of the party.

        "For the very last time, will Miss. Hermione Granger come forth?" said Lucius. Draco wrapped his arms around Hermione, holding her back from moving. Hermione blinked away a tear before turning to face Draco. She hugged him, digging her face in his shoulder blade. He rubbed her back, thinking she just needed comfort. But in her mind, she knew this was probably going to be the last time she'll ever see him. 

        "No matter what happens, just know that I love you and I always will," whispered Hermione. Draco gave her a small smile, still not comprehending what Hermione was about to do. She leaned in, giving him a kiss on the cheek. Hermione unwrapped herself from Draco's arms, standing up and walking a bit forward.

        "No!" Draco shouted, finally understanding what she was doing. Some gasps were heard throughout the room. Hermione pulled her wand out, looking around. Ginny's face was pale, and Harry looked like he was about to faint. All those past years he's been the one wanted, but now it was Hermione and he didn't know what to say or do. Cristi and Caiden were hugging each other, sitting near Ginny and Harry and Wyatt was on the complete opposite side with some red head girl and blonde haired boy. Ron still wasn't anywhere in sight.

        "Smart girl," Lucius grinned. He pointed his wand in the air, the lights going back on one by one. Hermione gulped, holding back tears. He then said, "Come here, Miss. Granger."

        "For what, exactly?" said Hermione, choosing her words carefully. 

        "You'll find out shortly," said Lucius. Hermione shook her head.

        "Tell me now, or I will refuse to come with you," She demanded, but her voice gave away how frightened she really was. She was trembling, wishing to be back in Draco's arms but it was too late. 

        "What fun would that be?" Lucius smiled, "Look around Hermione, do you see everyone's faces? It's pure shock. Fear. Worry. Come with me, or watch as everyone around you perishes. Even Draco." Hermione closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She was hoping she'd maybe wake up and realize this was all just a nightmare. But as she opened her eyes, she remembered it wasn't a dream and she needed to save hundreds of lives, even if that meant risking her own. She took a step forward.

        "Hermione, no! Stop! Don't listen to him!" Draco yelled behind her. She heard him stand up.

        "Don't move any further," She spoke, turning around to face him. He stopped in his tracks, sadness in his eyes. Hermione saw a tear fall, stroll down his cheek, and fall to the floor. The tear fell down just as Hermione did. Her body collided with the ground lifelessly. Lucius stood behind her grinning. Draco yelled, running over to her body. The room became chaotic, screaming and crying coming from everyone. Ginny, Cristi, and Harry ran up to her body but Draco got there first. He turned her to face the ceiling, wiping hair out of her face as he cried. Ginny and Cristi were on the other side sobbing, Harry at the top of her head. 

        "You see, I don't tolerate foolishness," Lucius shrugged. Hermione's eyes were sealed shut, her mouth slightly ajar. Draco pulled her body up and hugged her. He noticed in her hand was the rose he gave her, which made him cry even more. Draco stood up, facing his father. The hatred took over, Draco pulling out his wand.

        "Do you really want to do this Draco?" Lucius asked, not sounding the least bit intimidated. Draco's hand was trembling, his body shaking in anger. His eyes were locked on his dad.

        "You killed her," said Draco, the words slipping out effortlessly. Saying it out loud dented his heart. 

        "She won't be the only one I kill tonight," Lucius replied. 

        "I don't know how the bloody hell you got in, and how the hell you got the dementors and death eaters, but if you don't get out I will not hesitate to kill you and all your little friends," Draco threatened, his voice menacing and cold. Lucius gulped before straightening his tie and flattening his tux. He stepped towards his son.

        "I beg to differ," Lucius smirked. Suddenly the doors opened, two death eaters holding Professor Mcgonagall. They dragged her forward, pushing her down on her knees. Her head shrunk down, Draco's heart beating faster. 

        "What are you doing?" Harry stood up now, walking towards Draco. 

        "You two? Friends now?" Lucius chuckled.

        "So?" said Draco, still holding his wand out. His father chuckled, putting his hands on his knees and pretending to wipe away a tear of "laughter". Wyatt and Caiden walked beside them, along with Cristi and Ginny. That just caused Lucius to laugh even more. 

        "You four as well? This must be a joke," He chuckled. The doors flew open again, but instead of more death eaters, Ron stood there valiantly and proud. Lucius turned around, his smile growing wider. Ron rolled his eyes, then taking his wand out.

        "Make that five," said Ron. He then blasted the two death eaters back into the walls. Lucius pointed his wand at Ron, yelling out the killing spell but Ginny blasted him back before he could do that. Everyone began pulling their wands out, more death eaters coming in. Professor Mcgonagall stood up and pointed her wand at them as well. Draco carried Hermione to the back of the room, kissing her on the forehead before running back towards everyone. 

        The death eaters were being injured from left to right and hadn't killed anyone so far. Being somewhat experienced wizards and witches, with the help of Professor Mcgonagall, they stood no chance. Ginny and Cristi were fighting back to back, blasting death eaters into every corner, or paralyzing them. Harry had managed to get a broom and was flying around, hitting death eaters from top. Caiden and Wyatt had each other's backs. Draco tried finding his dad, wanting to get this done with this for good. 

        Without precaution, dementors flew into the room, knocking Harry off his broom and traumatizing most of the students. Draco was so caught up in finding his dad, he didn't notice one sneak up behind him. Draco got cold and cringed, spinning around and falling to the ground. The dementor unveiled his hood, about to give Draco the dementors kiss but suddenly, a flash of light burst from behind the dementor, sending it away.

        "You alright, lad?" Ron asked, offering his hand. Draco nodded his head, taking Ron's hand.

        "Thanks," He replied. They were then pushed into the corner by death eaters. Soon enough all the students were huddled into the corner by the dementors and death eaters. The dementors were attempting to give people the kiss, but stopped at Lucius's voice. 

        "Hold on! Hold on!" Lucius laughed, "Someone bring me Granger's body." Two death eaters ran to the back of the room and dragged her to Lucius, who stood in the middle. Draco's father bent down on one knee, looking down on Hermione. 

        "Since you're all about to die, would anyone like to say their final goodbye to her?" said Lucius. No one did a thing, not even Draco. He was too scared, he didn't want anything bad to happen to him or anyone else. Ron, Cristi, Harry, Wyatt, and Caiden thought the same, although they all deeply wanted to go by her. All except Ginny, who rose her hand. People gave her sympathetic looks as she pushed past everyone and towards Lucius. 

        "Die in hell," she muttered to Lucius when she got close to Hermione's body. He grinned, standing up and walking a little bit away from her. Ginny looked down at Hermione, rubbing her cheek with her thumb. She pressed her lips against Hermione's forehead before pulling her body up and hugging her. She didn't care who was looking. She had lost her best friend and had no shame in showing her affection. Ginny then gasped, her head  pressed against Hermione's chest.

        "Her heart is still beating," said Ginny smiling. She felt happier than ever, "Her heart is still beating!" 

        "But how!" Lucius yelled, taking a step forward. Hermione's eyes flew open, but they weren't brown. They were glowing yellow, along with the rest of her. Ginny stood up and stepped back as Hermione's body lifted into the air, her body glowing brightly. The rose was glowing the brightest, and you could see a light travel between the flower and Hermione's face. The dementors disintegrated at the light, leaving dust on the ground. Death eaters began running towards the door.

        "Take cover!" Someone yelled. Hermione glowed so bright, you couldn't see her anymore. The death eaters were blasted into the walls and dropped dead like flies. Draco's lips turned upwards into an enormous smile. Ginny was crying happy tears along with Cristi. Harry and Ron were cheering and laughing with Caiden and Wyatt. Everyone else was cheering and smiling. The light slowly began to fade away, Hermione's body slowly falling back to the ground before landing with a thud. 

        Draco ran up to her, holding her head in his hand. and placing his other hand around her waist. Her eyelids eventually opened, a smug smile on her face. Draco let out a relieved laugh, before pulling her in for a hug. Her arms wrapped around his neck, tears streaming down her face. When they stopped hugging, Hermione pulled out the rose. The light had slowly started fading until it was completely gone. The rose still looked and smelled as good as ever,

        "T-the rose saved me," Hermione smiled.

        "I know," Draco grinned. In the corner of the room, someone got up and tried running for the doors. Draco blasted at the door, sealing it shut. Lucius looked back at his son, his lips trembling.

        "Not so fast," Draco spoke. Hermione got up beside Draco.

        "You don't have to do this," Lucius pleaded, "Please."

        "You tried to kill us all," said Draco, pointing his wand at his dad. 

        "Draco," Hermione put her hand on his shoulder, "you don't have to kill him."

        "Yes I do!" Draco snapped, "I almost lost you." 

        "You didn't almost lose her," Lucius grinned, "You did lose her."

        Lucius flashed away, along with Hermione. Their bodies just vanished through thin air, not to be seen. Draco turned around to face everyone, their faces just as shocked as his. 

        What the bloody hell just happened?

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

So, basically, the story is coming to an end soon, only a few more chapters! I hope you guys have been enjoying the story and I'm so grateful for all the votes, comments, and views I've gotten! Thank you all so much. Have an amazing day. <3