Chapter 5

Anxiety rushed past Hermione, the fragile girl leaving her homely bed and following Ginny into the Common Room. Fire sprawled from the brick furnace, three red couches set in front of it and a small coffee table gestured in the center. Harry was sitting in one of them, his arm lying on the armrest. No one else was there, the silence echoing across the room dryly. Ginny put her hand on Hermione's shoulder comfortingly, giving her an eager nod before she left. Hermione took a quick gulp, putting on her most serious face, and quietly walked over to him. He stood up at her presence.

        "Hermione, I need your help." said Harry softly, gazing down. Of course thought Hermione.

        "About?" she questioned, one of her arms slyly down, the other holding on to the other arm firmly. He looked up to meet her eyes, his green ones glistening in the darkness surrounding them, the sound of crickets filling the tensity. He pushed his hand through his hair and said, "It's about Ginny, she's acting so...strange."

        "Strange? What do you mean strange?" said Hermione, suddenly more focused on him.

        "I dunno, I mean. She's been really upset, and when I ask, she always denies it, but I can tell she's lying." said Harry lightly, almost in a whisper as he stood there stiffly, not moving a muscle. Hermione let out a small sigh, before biting her lips and saying, "I'll ask her. I'm sure she'll tell me."

        "Thanks." he replied quickly, one, tiny grin skimming along his slightly thin lips. Hermione nodded her head, notifying that she heard what he said. She then turned around, about to walk off, when Harry called, "No, wait." She clucked her tongue against the top of her mouth, turning around deliberately. His eyes softened when she fully faced him, his hair messily sticking to the side, the lightning bolt shaped scar materializing on his forehead as he clamped his hands together noisily.

        "Yes?" said Hermione faintly, her voice quite hoarse and shallow. Harry casually paced over to her, her edgy eyes never leaving his genuine ones. Before Hermione could object, or speak at all, he clung onto her, embracing her in an amiable hug. She smelled his ocean, sort of salty like odor cologne, and she cringed up her nose, resenting the aroma, although she squeezed him back but not as tight as he did. His breaths deepened, becoming heavier and thicker.

        "Harry, what's the matter?" said Hermione, leaning back, her arms still around his back securely. He stepped backwards, her arms dropping to her side, and he coughed weakly. His eyes never left hers though, they steadied on her attentively, focusing on every little detail there was to the intelligent, brave girl. Hermione thoroughly brushed her hand through her side bangs, something catching in her eye. She wiped it off, blinking a few times, and then peered at Harry who squinted at her carefully.

        "Harry?" she repeated, snapping her fingers close to his face. He shook his head, quickly blinking, and then smiling.

        "I'm sorry." said Harry.

        "It's fine." said Hermione without thinking. She then said right after, "Wait what?" To his amusement, he chuckled, a petite smile emerging gleefully. She tilted her head to some degree, trying to figure out why he was being eerie.

        "I know I've been a terrible friend. I was just caught up in everything. From defeating Voldemort to hanging out with Ron, I've been completely ignoring you and that was wrong of me. You are truly amazing, and I just want to go back to the way it was before. The three of us, you know? Ron is still getting over everything, and he's being a bastard about the whole Abbie thing--trust me I know--but just ignore it. I miss you, Hermione. Please, can we go back to the way it was?" he pleaded, averting his gaze upon her completely, never looking away. She looked down, and over to the side, focusing her attention on the middle red couch. The velvet red was beyond beautiful, complimenting the rest of the room delicately. Hermione then glanced back at Harry who was now fiddling with his thumbs, patiently waiting for an answer from her.