Chapter 4

Light gleamed through the enormous window, the library lighting up tremendously as Hermione buried her face in a novel she was quite fond of. Silence thickened in the placid, gentle air, as some students came in, checked out books, and left, others taking seats at a table like Hermione had, although she was alone unlike most of them. Time passed by quickly, Hermione reading the book steadily, keeping her mind off everything that happened yesterday with Ron until she came upon the last page, the cliche phrase, "And they lived happily ever after" ending the book. Hermione sighed, leaning back in her chair and closing the book lightly.

She left her desolate seat, and handed the book back to Madam Pince, the librarian, who smiled at her, taking the book kindly. Hermione searched for another book, finding it quickly, and resuming her usual spot reading the book diligently when someone came hurling towards Hermione, nearly screaming.

"Hermione! Hermione!" she shouted, getting glares from nearby students.

"Abbie, shh." said Hermione, placing her finger against her lips signaling her to be quiet. Abbie made an 'oops' face, sitting across from Hermione giddily. She closed the book, after marking her page, and placed it on the table patiently.

"You're not going to believe who just asked me out on a date." she half-whispered, half-yelled.

"Who?" asked Hermione, strumming her fingers on top of the book.

"Ron!" Abbie shrieked, throwing her hands into the air. Hermione's heart stopped, her breathing gradually fading, a small, "Oh." escaping her frozen, appalled lips. She clung onto the book, attempting a little smile before letting out a gigantic breath she didn't realize she was holding in. Abbie grinned, a broad smile gleaming from ear to ear.

"I'm happy for you." Hermione choked out, opening her book up, and finding her page.

"It was amazing, really. You must listen! I saw him in the halls, and I decided to walk over to him. Oh boy, his grin when I approached him was just so adorable! I mean, everything about him is so adorable. But back to the story, anyways, I said I liked him, and then he asked me out on a date next Wednesday at Hogsmeade!" she exclaimed, Madam Pince shushing her, and warning her that if she doesn't quiet down then she'll be kicked out right away, a mere, "Sorry" coming from her.

"That's wonderful." said Hermione in a whisper, but she wasn't whispering because she was in the library, she was whispering because she couldn't manage to speak any louder than that. Squealing of joy, Abbie grinned, her blue eyes dazzling at the thought of him. Both of her elbows laid on top of the table, facing upwards, the palms of her hands pushed together as her chin rested upon them, blonde streaks of hair falling to the sides. She bit her thick, although small pink lips, nodding her head back and forth sideways.

"I need to go to the bathroom." said Hermione and she grabbed the book currently lying on the table, rushing out of the library giving Madam Pince an 'I'll be back' look. She left before she could even see Abbie's reaction, and ran until she found a familiar bathroom she grew to despise. She creaked open the door, and walked inside, glaring at the center sinks that formed into a circle. Stalls appeared to be on the right side, Hermione hearing the cries of a girl.

"Hello?" she spoke, striding further into the room. The cries halted, a ghost rising from the last stall, her pig tails swaying behind her, and her round glasses centered on her face.

"Hermione, what are you doing here?" giggled the ghost, who started twirling with her hair some more in an evil grin.

"Myrtle, not today. I'm not in the mood." scowled Hermione, her hands lying firmly on her waist, and one of her legs stretched out a little in a sort of pose like figure. She narrowed her eyes at Myrtle, otherwise known as Moaning Myrtle (because of all her crying), as the ghost flew around the room.