A Soul For a Soul - Angst

In Endgame, it's Tony and Peter who go get the soul stone. Only one person leaves.

Idea from: @X-O spider

This is during the events of Avengers: Endgame.

TRIGGER WARNING: slight swearing, major character death.
_______________________________

Peters Pov:

This place would totally suck if Tony wasn't here with me. He makes everything better.

I have no idea why, but I'm trusted by the Avengers to help save the world. Great. Awesome. When I was little, I thought it was so bizarre that aliens and advanced, crazy robots were attacking Earth, now I have to wrap my head around the idea that time travel is an actual thing.

It's really cold on Vormir, where the soul stone is supposedly kept. And since we have to wear our time travel suits, I don't really have a nice spider heater with me at the moment.

When Tony and I got there, I was almost dumbstruck at how beautiful this place is. A mixture of red, purple, blue, pink and yellow seem to mix together, showing a retro kind of look from the sky. The only source of light coming from a cloudy sliver. It was breathtaking at first, and then I took one step and realized that it was snowing.

Walking to the mountain wasn't fun, with rocks constantly making my clumsy self stumble, it seemed like ages until we got to the bottom of the mountain.

"That's really high up." I blurt out, and Tony only gives a small 'yeah' before we start making our way up.

Hiking has never been my specialty, but Tony is really struggling. Halfway up, he collapses on the ground and takes a breather. It's not like a normal hike, either. The mountain is full of narrow curves and steep steps, and even the smallest of mistakes would lead to a fatal fall.

Around twenty minutes later, Tony has his arm around me for support. He kept saying thank you over and over.

When we reached the top, both of us were out of breath.

A strange figure emerges from the shadows, making my spider senses prickle the back of my neck. Looking like a grim reaper, the hooded figure floats over to us. As he comes closer to us, his face clearly starts to show. Distorted red putty seems to suffocate his face, almost like his skin was ripped off. Which, by the way, is hard to look at.

"Hello, travelers." He says calmly. If his voice wasn't so hoarse and scratchy, it would actually be soothing.

"Red skull.." Tony spat, his voice hinted with anger.

"Stark. Lovely seeing you here."

"Where's the stone." Tony snaps sternly, crossing his arms.

The cloaked figure, Red Skull, turns, and signals for us to follow him.

He leads us to a deadly cliff at the top of the mountain, I peer over it and gulp nervously.

"The soul stone is the hardest stone to achieve. Only the strongest of hearts can truly deserve it. But there is a price." Red Skull explains.

"A price?" Tony turns, confused.

"A sacrifice. Of someone you love." Red skull answered, slowly pointing a bony finger to the cliff.

"Two must come to get the stone. The only one will leave."

Tony looks over at me, and an expression of horror grows across his face.

"One of you will have to jump."

It becomes silent, the only noise in the air is the wind whisking the snow.

"I'll do it," I mutter.

"No. No no no. Peter you-" Tony stutters, stumbling forward.

"Tony. You have a wife, a kid, worrying their asses off at home. You need to be there for Morgan." I say calmly, taking a step closer to the edge.

"I won't let you, Peter." He walks forward, grabbing my wrist.

"I'm sorry Mr. Stark.." I whisper, jumping backward before Tony catches me with both hands, leaving me dangling thousands of feet in the air.

"Tony, let me go." I plead.

His face tightens, and he choked out a weak. "No."

His grip tightens.

"Ple- please no." He begs.

I smile at me sadly.

"It's ok," I whisper.

He shakes his head in denial, a tear striking down his face.

"Please, Peter.."

I slam my foot against the wall, pushing me downward and making Tony lose his grip.

"PETER!" He cries out.

Sorry Mr. Stark.

Tony's Pov:

"PETER!" I cry out, trying to grab him, but it was already too late. The kid was falling through the air, and I had no way of stopping it.

I put my hand over my mouth as I hold back a sob. The kid gave up his life for me. And for what? I've had a dark past, one that I'm not proud of. I'm still not proud of the decisions I make to this day. Why would a person so perfect give up their life for someone so messed up.

"Damnit.." I sob out, punching the ground.

Anger boils at my skin as I stand up and storm over to Red Skull.

"You sick bastard, you-you let Peter die and it's all your fault.. all your fault-" I cry out pathetically, pointing a shaky finger at him.

Red Skull only smiles sadly, and then I find myself in water.

I jerk up, coughing and spitting up the water. I open up my hand to see an orange, glowing gem in my palm.

I grip it tightly in my hand, restraining myself from chucking it as far away as possible.

(This one-shot wasn't exactly planned but it was too good not to do! I know I could do better on this chapter, but it's been a couple of days since I've posted so I wanted to at least get something out. If you liked it, remember to vote, comment, etc. so others can see it too!)