UNCONDITIONAL LOVE

TAY TAWAN:

"Hello uncle! Please come inside." I walked towards Gun's dad with the biggest warmest smile I could muster. Off had already paled a bit. Gun looked at me thankfully.

"No, I am not here for pleasantries. I want to talk to my son Gun .......alone. Can you ask your friends to leave us alone for five minutes?" His expression resolute he said with seemingly controlled anger.

"Uncle these are all my guests here so it would be very impolite of me to ask my guests to leave. My Nana won't be very happy about it, so I request you to come inside and please be seated."

My grandparents were not even home. They had both gone to visit P'Sasin. But of course Gun's dad didn't need to know that.

For the first time Gun's dad looked slightly uncertain. New squeezed my hand gently and whispered close to my ears, "You are brave..."

Gun's dad finally came inside and Lee quickly offered him a seat which he stubbornly declined.

"Poh, how did you know that I was here?"
Gun asked again.

"Does it matter? And it's me who is going to ask the questions and you will just answer, do you get that Gun? Do you?"

"Poh I just wanna know why are you sounding so angry??"

"Why am I angry?? I am surprised that you are even asking me this!! I saw photos of you and this ....this Korean guy here...... together too close..........what about that??"

"What about that??" Gun's voice had changed from submissive to angry and there was a hint of challenge in the way he spoke.

"What kind of friends are you?" His father's voice was getting angrier as well.

"Oh! He is not my friend!"

"Then?? Who is he??"

"Didn't I introduce you two? Oh! Am so sorry Poh but this handsome Korean looking guy is Off Jumpol and he  is my boyfriend. I am crazily in love with him." Gun walked towards Off and entwined both their hands and stood there looking defiantly at his dad.

The expression on his dad's face changed from disbelief to fury in seconds. "Boyfriend??? Is this a joke?? What are you talking about?? Are you gay???? My son cannot be gay!!!! What has this guy done to you Gun??"

"He hasn't done anything Poh! But I definitely turned him gay." Gun looked at Off.

"Shut it Gun!!! Have you learnt to talk back to your elders from this guy? Rich spoilt brat!!!! You are that Jumpol boy son of Industrialist Thura Jumpol. Right?? And your mom.....Ain't your Mom a fashion designer?? People in that kind of industry usually have these kind of defects...or defective kids!!" Gun's dad said with sarcasm dripping from each of his word.

"Poh!!!!!" Gun almost screamed.

"Gun don't you dare raise your voice in front of me. I know his type...I don't know what story he has fed you but these kind of people like to play around with innocent kids like you. I am your father and I know what's right for you." His father's voice had risen by a few decibels.

Gun's eyes were brimming and he was trying really hard to contain his tears which were threatening to fall. Off's face was quite unreadable.

"For the first time in my life I am feeling sorry that you are my father. You don't even know your own son how will you know what's right for me." Gun's voice cracked while speaking. Off wrapped his arm around Gun protectively.

"How dare....." Gun's dad couldn't finish as Off cut him off.

"I know uncle that it's hard to believe the truth but what you are calling as defect is something which is a gift of God and people are born with that Gift...they don't suddenly acquire it. And yes......my parents are rich and I am really proud of them because they love and accept me the way I am. They know about Gun and have showered us with blessings. My parents believe that people don't get rich with money, they get rich with their thoughts." Off's voice was soft but stern.