Chapter 10 1/2 "A Waste Of Time"

~~~~A little something so I can get more into a storyline but didn't want to do a regular chapter for this.~~~~

After Halstead gets off the phone with Severide he lays it on the seat and gets ready to drive away, until his phone rings.
Picking it up, he answers, "Hello," Halstead says.
"Jay, it's Peter Stone. It's urgent I speak with you and Shaylynn," he tells Halstead.
"Okay, just how urgent?" Halstead asks.
"Like right now urgent!" Stone tells him.
"Shaylynn is in the hospital," Halstead tells him.
"Are you there?" Stone asks him.
"No, but I'm heading that way," he says.
"Alright, I'll meet you there!" Stone says hanging up.
Halstead wonders what could be so important that the Assistant District Attorney needs to talk to him and Shaylynn.

~~~~~~~

Walking into Shaylynn's room, Halstead sees she's dressed.
"Where did you run off too?" Shaylynn asks him.
Before he can say anything, there's a knock on the door.
Halstead opens it up to see it's Stone.
He walks in as Halstead closes the door, "What's this about?" Shaylynn asks looking at Halstead.
"I don't know. He called me right before I came here saying he needed to talk to us," Halstead tells her.
Shaylynn looks at Stone who looks nervous knowing Shaylynn's background, "A lawsuit has come against you," Stone says looking at Halstead.
Halstead looks at him confused, "What kind of lawsuit?" he asks.
"A breach of contract," Stone says, "It's coming from Abby McSweeney."
Halstead stares at Stone, "What kind of breach of contract?" Shaylynn asks.
"Marriage," Stone tells her as Shaylynn looks at Halstead then back at Stone.
"What do you mean by marriage?" Shaylynn asks him.
"Jay and Abby are still married," Stone tells her backing away.
Shaylynn's face starts to turn red, "What do you mean Jay is married to this Abby?" she questions.
"The divorce papers were lost. When Abby found out she's been trying to get in contact with you to get back together," Stone tells Halstead.
"What about us?" Shaylynn asks Stone.
Stone looks at her, "I'm sorry. Since Jay is still legally married to Abby that makes your marriage null and void."
Shaylynn can't believe what she's hearing, she rubs her head, "Going to the courthouse and getting married. Renewing our vows was nothing but a waste of time?!" she says pissed off.
She stands up and starts walking to the door, Halstead putting his hand on her arm, "Shaylynn we need to talk."
Standing there, she stares at him, "I have nothing to say to you! This is on you! According to Peter, we have no connection so you need to get your hand off of me!"
Halstead removes his hand, she opens the door and walks out as he follows her.
"What about the kids? You know Jacquelyn, Logan, and Landon. We do have a connection!" he tells her.
"Logan and Landon were conceived under a lie that we were married! We're not married! Four years of nothing!" she says to him, "I'll expect you to move your stuff out in the next 24 hours!"
"How can you say four years of nothing? We had some wonderful times!" he tells her, "What are you going to tell Jacquelyn when she asks why I'm not around?" Halstead asks her.
"I'll tell her that her father couldn't get his shit together to make sure his first marriage was dissolved before getting married again! Or supposedly married again!" Shaylynn tells him then walks away.

Shaylynn makes her way downstairs and out of Med, she stands there wondering what she's going to do.
She sits down on a bench and starts crying.
Maggie sees her and rushes over, "Shaylynn, what's wrong?" she asks.
"I just found out I'm not married!" she tells Maggie crying even more.
Maggie's in shock, "How are you not married?"
"Somehow the divorce papers from Jay's first marriage got lost. She found out about it and now has a lawsuit against him for breach of contract," Shaylynn tells her.
"Shaylynn, I'm so sorry," Maggie says.
"Can you do me a favor?" Shaylynn asks.
"Sure, what do you need?" Maggie asks her.
"Can you get an Uber for me?" Shaylynn asks her wiping the tears from her face.
"Sure," Maggie says taking out her phone.
"The boys are coming home today and I need to get my SUV," Shaylynn says as Maggie brings up the app, "That makes this even harder!"
"All set!" Maggie says as she stands up, "I have to be getting back inside."
"Thanks for the help," Shaylynn tells Maggie.
"You're welcome!" Maggie says and walks toward the doors.
As she gets ready to walk in, Halstead runs out.
He sees Shaylynn sitting on a bench and runs over to her, getting down on one knee in front of her.
"Marry me!" he tells her, "Marry me once I have all of this taken care of!"
Shaking her head 'no' the Uber pulls up, "Please don't do this Jay! I've been hurt enough! I need time to think."
Shaylynn stands up and walks to the Uber.
Opening the door, she gets in, closes the door and the car drives away with Halstead watching it with tears flowing from his eyes.