Chapter 16 "Meathead"

A couple of hours later Shaylynn receives a call from Jennifer, Severide's Mom.
"Hello,"
"Shaylynn, it's Jennifer," she tells her in a panicked tone.
"Jennifer, what's wrong?" Shaylynn asks her.
"It's Rosie, she fell into the pool!" Jennifer tells her.
"OMG! Jennifer, she's not..." Shaylynn says not being able to get the rest out.
"No, she's on the way to Med," Jennifer says.
"Alright! Jay and I are heading out!" Shaylynn tells her, "Thanks for calling!"
Shaylynn hangs up, "JAY!" she yells.
He comes running into the kitchen, "What! What's wrong?" he asks her.
"Tell Jill we're leaving for Med! I'll tell Jenna" she tells him walking out of the kitchen to get her bag and some other things.
Halstead follows her out, "Why? What happened?"
"Rosie fell into the pool! She should be at Med by now!" Shaylynn tells him rushing upstairs.
"On it!" Halstead tells her running off to the playroom.
Grabbing a few items from Jacquelyn's old nursery, Shaylynn hurries and puts them into a bag. She walks over to the nursery and tells Jenna where they're going.

~~~~~

Arriving at Med, Halstead can barely keep up with Shaylynn.
Walking down the hallway on the Pediatrics floor, Shaylynn sees Beth and Severide at the end of the hallway in a room.
She makes eye contact with Beth, "Shaylynn!" she hears her say.
Shaylynn sprints to the room and gives Beth a hug then one to Severide, "How is she?" she asks them.
"Fine, thank god," Severide tells her.
"You guys need to hire a couple of nannies," Shaylynn says.
"One minute she was there then..."Severide says then starts crying.
Shaylynn puts her arm around him and rests her hand on his shoulder.
"I've never been so scared in all my life!" Beth says.
"I felt physically sick when Jennifer called me," Shaylynn tells them as she looks over at Halstead who's rubbing Beth's back then gives Severide a man hug.
Shaylynn walks over to Rosie and sits on her bedside, "This is Jacquelyn's, don't you tell her!" she tells Rosie smiling as she hands her the pink teddy bear.
As Rosie takes the bear, Shaylynn bends down and kisses Rosie on top of the head.
Shaylynn stands up, "Thanks Shaylynn," Beth says.
"That's okay. I have some of Jacquelyn's old clothes, well not exactly old. I don't even think she wore them. They still have the tags on them," Shaylynn tells her.
"Thanks," Beth tells her.

Rosie had some more tests done to really make sure she had no water in her lungs.
After the tests, Dr. Halstead recommends Rosie stay in the hospital so they can keep an eye on her.
"I'll stay with her," Beth tells Dr. Halstead.
"I'll stay too," Severide says.
"You can both go home and get some rest. She'll be perfectly fine here," Dr. Halstead reassures them.
"I can't leave her," Beth tells him as Rosie crawls all over the bed trying to get down.
"She'll get out of bed and start running around the hospital," Severide says getting a hold of her, giving her a hug.
"Joos," Rosie says.
Beth smiles at her, "I'll get you a drink of water," she tells Rosie.
"No, me joos!" Rosie says with her face all wrinkled up.
"There's nothing wrong with her!" Shaylynn says.
"Alright," Dr. Halstead, "Sign the paperwork and you can take her home."
"Oh thank god! I'll get her dressed," Beth says.
"We'll take you home," Halstead tells them.
"Kelly, you go and do the paperwork. I'll dress her," Beth tells him.
Severide kisses Rosie then hands her over to Beth.
"I'll go with you and grab a coffee," Halstead tells Severide.
Severide and Halstead walk out of the room.
"I think I want Meg as my nanny!" Beth tells Shaylynn.
"I think she might scare the living daylights out of her! You need to get her back in the pool too," Shaylynn tells her.
"I don't know about that," Beth says as she goes through the bag getting some clothes out for Rosie.
"I was looking at some old photos earlier. Jacquelyn spotted one of my Mom and said that's who she saw in the garden," Shaylynn tells her.
"Oh wow! I bet you blubbed!" Beth says watching Shaylynn's expression.
"I did! Then she pointed out Marshall and my Stepdad saying she saw them also. I just about lost it! She asked Jay for his phone, scrolling through the photos she found one of his parents and told him she had seen them also!" Shaylynn tells her.
"Oh my God! Did they wave to her too?" Beth asks.
"No, the only one to wave was my Mom," Shaylynn says.
"It sounds like you have a gifted little girl," Beth says as she puts Rosie's shirt on.
"I'm beginning to think that too!" Shaylynn tells her.
"She can see dead people!" Beth says smiling at Shaylynn who gives her a look, "Sorry, I'm just trying to lighten the mood!"
"I know," Shaylynn says, "I got a bloody video from Austin too!" she tells Beth changing the subject.
"Yeah? Let me see!" Beth says standing up from sitting on a chair.
"Not here. Jay will probably walk in! I wish he'd leave me alone!" Shaylynn tells her looking out the window.
"Why don't you just delete the video," Beth says.
"I will," Shaylynn says still looking out the window.
"But let me see it first!" Beth tells her as she picks Rosie up, sits her on the bed so she can put her socks on, "Mark phoned me."
"What?" Shaylynn says surprised.
"He met someone in Australia and married her!" Beth tells her.
"You're kidding, right?" Shaylynn questions.
"Nope! And guess who she looks like," Beth says.
"Who?" Shaylynn asks her.
"Me! There are photos on Instagram!" Beth tells her putting Rosie's shoes on.
Shaylynn pulls her phone out of her pocket and searches for Mark's Instagram profile.
"Fuck!" Shaylynn says laughing, "Poor woman having to live up to you!"
"That's what Kelly said!" Beth tells her.
Shaylynn looks at her in shock, "You told Kelly?"
"Yeah, no more secrets!" Beth says looking at Rosie.