Chapter 11 "Null & Void"

The Uber drops Shaylynn off but doesn't leave.
On the way to the house she received a call for Med telling her that the boys wouldn't be able to come home today and that it's looking like it will be another two weeks.
Receiving that news, Shaylynn reserved a hotel room at the Four Seasons for the next couple of days for Jill and Jacquelyn along with buying tickets for them to the Aquarium, Museum, and Chicago Theater.
Shaylynn needs some peace and quiet to think.

Walking into the house, Shaylynn sees bags sitting by the front door and Jill walking toward.
Jill walks up to her and hugs her, "I'm so sorry," she says, "I hope you and Jay get this worked out quickly! You two are truly made to be together. It wouldn't be right for him to be with anyone else. No one can hold a flame to you!" Jill says.
Shaylynn tightens the hug, "Thank you! You don't know how much I needed to hear that!"
"Mommy!" Jacquelyn says as she runs down the hallway.
Shaylynn bends down and hugs her, "You're not coming with us?" she questions.
"No, but I wish I was," Shaylynn tells her, "I have boring things I need to do but I want you to have fun. And that's what you and Jill will be doing over the next couple of days in the city."
"Will I see Daddy?" Jacquelyn asks.
Shaylynn can feel the tears welling in her eyes, "Sweetie, I'm sure you will," Jill tells her seeing Shaylynn tear up, "We better be going."
Jill grabs the bags, "Bye Mommy!" Jacquelyn says as she hugs Shaylynn.
"Bye Sweetie," Shaylynn says holding back the tears, "Be good for Jill."
"I will," Jacquelyn says then walks out the door to the Uber.
Shaylynn watches her get in.
The car drives down the driveway with Jacquelyn waving out the back window.
When the car is out of sight, Shaylynn closes the door, slides down it to the floor and starts crying.
The rage deep down inside becomes bigger and bigger until she can't take it any longer.
Standing up, she heads upstairs to change.

~~~~~~~

In the gym, Shaylynn hits the bag trying to get her rage out.
Adam sees her recognizing her from the night before when he helped Austin.
Walking to the back, Adam knocks on Austin's office door.
"Yeah," Austin says.
Adam opens it, "Shaylynn's here," he tells him.
Austin stands up, walks around his desk, and heads out front to the gym with Adam behind him.
Walking out into the gym, Austin looks around, "She's over by the bag," Adam tells him.
Austin walks over to her and sees she's upset, "Shaylynn, what's wrong?" he asks her.
She starts crying.
Austin puts his arm around her and leads her back to his office.

Shaylynn walks into Austin's office with him behind her, he closes the door.
"Now, what's going on?" Austin asks her.
Shaylynn starts crying, "I just found out I'm not married," she tells him.
"What do you mean?" Austin asks her.
"Jay, who I was supposed to be married to was married before me and he thought he was divorced. She never filed the papers and he found out when she showed up while we were engaged. He took the papers and filed them. He never inquired on them to see if they were going through and they were lost. All this time our marriage has been nothing but null and void!"
Shaylynn really breaks down, Austin walks up and hugs her.
She looks up and kisses him which he starts kissing her back.
After a minute, Shaylynn backs up from him, "I have to go!" she tells him and rushes out of his office.
"Shaylynn!" he yells at her.
He rushes out of his office when Adam stops him, "Your clients here," he tells Austin.
Austin sighs, "Alright."
He goes out to the gym to see his client waiting on him.

~~~~~~~

Later that night after getting done at the shooting range, Shaylynn heads inside to get a shower.
After she's done she gets dressed, leaving her hair wet and heads downstairs to the kitchen wiping tears off her face.
Getting out ingredients to make a pizza the buzzer for the gate goes off.
She walks over to the screens to see it's Severide, she buzzes him in.
Five minutes later, Shaylynn lets him in the side door that leads into the kitchen.
"Want some pizza?" she asks him walking around the island, Severide seeing she's been crying.
"Sure," Severide says, "Mind if I crash here tonight?" he asks her.
"Not at all," she tells him, "You're not going to try and go back home?"
Severide shakes his head 'no', "Kelly, I'm so sorry I stopped by! If I would have just come home none of this would be going on with you and Beth."
"It's not your fault! This would have eventually happened with her drinking," he tells her, "Now what's going on with you and Jay? I know you stopped by because you were pissed off at him. So spill!"
Shaylynn shakes her head, "Go upstairs and look in my bedroom," she tells him, Severide looks at her strange, "You'll see what I'm talking about as soon as you open the door!" she says.
"Alright," Severide says then walks out of the kitchen as Shaylynn mixes together the ingredients.
Two minutes later, Severide comes walking back into the kitchen, he looks at her, "Shaylynn, I don't know what to say."
She breaks down crying, Severide walks around the island and hugs her, "There's no reason to break down over that," he tells her.
"I'm not crying about that," she tells him.
Severide steps back and looks at her, "Then what is it?"
"Jay and I aren't married!" she tells him starting to cry again.
"What happened?" Severide asks her.
"His wife Abby brought up a lawsuit against him for breach of contract because she was married to him but he was living with me as husband and wife. Seems the divorce papers got lost at the court clerk's office and Jay didn't check up on them to make sure they were moving through. Four years, Kelly! Four years wasted!" she says when the timer goes off.
She runs a finger under her eye to wipe off the tears getting flour on her.
Severide hands her a towel, "Wipe the flour off you," he tells her.
Shaylynn laughs at him, "Thanks," she tells him taking the towel and wiping her face before kneading the dough.
"You wouldn't happen to know where Beth is?" Severide asks her.
Shaylynn looks at him, "Home?" she questions.
Severide shakes his head 'no', "I stopped there before coming here. She and the girls aren't there along with clothes," he tells her.
"Kelly, she's as bad as me and has houses everywhere. For me, it was for security reasons, except for the castle in Scotland. I bought that one especially for myself. For her, it's to spend her money. Trying to figure out where she is without it coming directly from her is impossible," Shaylynn tells him.