"Nuts, ma'am?"

It was all white noise. She couldn't grab ahold of a single coherent thought, she couldn't even feel the swelling of her eye, or the blood that slowly oozed from the gash on her lip. It was like she was an empty void. The detective exited the apartment, looking briefly toward his partner who was questioning the only witness, Dinah Jane Hansen.
According to the report that he had previously read, the police received a call from Miss Hansen claiming that her roommates boyfriend killed himself, but when the detective first looked at the girlfriend, he knew that the story had run much deeper.

"Has she said anything?" The detective asked the EMT who was carefully cleaning the wounds on the girl. "No. And she's in no state to answer anything right now, Detective Muller." Muller rubbed his brow in frustration, he just needed her statement and then the process could go on just that bit smoother. "I get you got your job, but I got mine too." Muller tried to reason and the EMT spun her head in disgust. "Look at her. I don't give a shit about your job right now, I only care for the girl in front of me." The girl still remained still, staring directly at the entrance of the house, her memories stuck on repeat. Muller cursed under his breath before wandering toward his partner, who seemed to be getting all the information.

Muller overheard that the deceased was abusive, and tonight he just happened to snap. One moment he was beating on his girlfriend, the next he had a revolver down his throat.

Two Months Later

"Are you sure this is the best idea?" Dinah asked as she walked alongside her best friend as she paced through the crowds. "Of course it is, why wouldn't it be?" She responded and Dinah rolled her eyes as her best friend came to a stop. "You're running. You can't avoid Mullers questions forever, Lauren." The dark haired brunette turned around to face her closest friend, her eyes glossed over. They had been different since that night, and so had Lauren. "It's not Muller I'm avoiding. I just want a break from it all, don't I deserve one?" Dinah simply nodded sadly and Lauren sighed as Dinah engulfed her in an embrace.

"It's only a couple of days, but it's something." Lauren bargained and her best friend let a couple tears run down her cheeks. "Be safe." The green eyed girl smiled as warmly as she could before the intercom called for her flight to board. "Who knows, maybe Cuba will be good for me?" Dinah shrugged as she watched her best friend disappear into the crowds again. As much as it hurt to let Lauren go, Dinah knew that Lauren deserved this vacation away more than anyone.

The boarding process was yet another blur for Lauren. She only came out of her daze once she was seated and a old woman was poking her side with concern. "Are you okay sweetie?" The lady asked politely and Lauren smiled before nodding, the lady seemed content with her response and didn't speak further.

Cuba, originally wasn't her idea. Lauren wanted to just get away from all the pity and questions, she was actually just going to go back home to Miami, but then she remembered that's where his family lived too. Then she was going to go Hawaii but then she remembered that was where he took her as an anniversary gift. No matter where she chose to go, the road always led back to Damien Micheal.

Lauren first ever met Damien at orientation, she was just listening to the lecture when she looked to her left and saw his intense glare on her. Considering the fact that his former girlfriend was on his hip, that should have been a red flag. Though, Lauren couldn't help but fall for that damn smile. After weeks of his shameless flirting and Lauren's failed attempts to avoid him, Damien kissed her. For Lauren she felt nothing, but Damien couldn't get enough of her. One thing led to another and Damien was single and Lauren was his newest girlfriend.