chapter 21

“Omg its prom in two days” Amy started to scream excitedly, staring at one of the prom posters that wasp pasted all around school. I usually hate prom, except this time, I’m interested in it.

“But neither of us got a date” I reminded.

“Let’s be each other’s date, like a girl’s night. Let’s go shop for dresses after school today” suggested Amy and I nodded in agreement with a smile.

I always hated prom after dad left mom and I, because I didn’t find anything as interesting as I used to. Mom would force me to go to prom saying I should socialize more and have fun, make friends, come out of my sad rock. Apparently dad abandoning us is not something to be so sad about. I wasn’t always like that. I would have fun with friends, go to the mall often. But everything changed when dad left, since he was closer to me than mom. I never expected him to do such a thing. I started to think if it was all an act, him taking me out for movies, taking mom out for dinner. I was hoping that I would one day get to marry a guy like my dad, a guy who would treat me the way my dad treated mom. Oh well…people change.

But this time things are different. I’m going to go to prom without mom forcing me to, I’m going to smile, laugh and have fun. I’m not sad about dad leaving us anymore. He maybe be happy, mom’s happy and so am I.

After school Amy and I went to the mall. We were walking from shop to shop trying to find the perfect dress.

“What about the purple one?” she asked pointing at the purple knee length long sleeved dress with a bow in its stomach.

“No not my color. You should try out the red one” I said giving her the red knee length halter neck dress. She examined it and took it to the changing room. I waited for her, still trying to find a dress I would like.

“How is it?” she came out.

“Wow Amy you look amazing, it suits you. You should definitely get it” I suggested and she started jumping in excitement, then suddenly stopped and her face fell.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I wish James would ask me for prom”

“Aw he will. We still got 2 days right. Now help me find a dress”

We searched from rack to rack trying to find a dress when I finally found the perfect dress. A knee length black off shoulder dress, with a black lace flowing up to the ankle. It was gorgeous. I rushed into the changing room and tried it out, it was a perfect fit, as if it was made just for me. The dress hugging my curves and body. I loved it. I opened the curtains and walked out to see Amy with her mouth hung open.

“How do I look?”

“You look amazing Kylie wow, I have no words”

“You look stunning” came a voice from behind Amy. It was Jason. My neighbor from my previous house.

“Hey!” I said going up to him and hugging him.

“What are you doing here?” I asked confused, yet happy to see him.

“I was passing by and I saw you. So I decided to come in and say hi.”

After we paid for our clothes we went to eat at Burger King. I introduced Amy to him. And every time Jason would look away Amy would mouth ‘he is so hot’ from across the table while eyeing him.

“What are you doing in Kingwood?” I asked trying to ignore Amy being Amy.

“Well…I missed you” he blurt out and I stayed still staring at him, not knowing what to do or say, I was shocked. And Amy started to squeak “omg”.

Jason came home with me, he offered a ride home and also he wanted to meet mom. I told him that she would get late to come, to which he said he could wait for her. I directed him to my house, since he was driving. When we reached home I was surprised to see mom was already home. I’ve been getting a lot of surprises these days.
Mom hugged Jason and we all sat in the living room and started catching up.
“How has life been for you dear? School? Family?” asked mom.

“Well…I’ve been fine, nothing new actually, family is fine, they told me to give their best regards to you, and school is the reason why I’m here, got some research and stuff to do”

“Where will you be staying?”

“At a friend’s house, just a few kilometers from here. Cool house by the way” he said looking around, scanning the house.

“Stay for dinner, I made lasagna” mom offered and he accepted willingly.

As we ate the conversations kept on continuing between mom and Jason, about work, a bit of politics and Jason complimenting mom on her cooking, well she is a chef. I wasn’t in the mood to talk. I want to just go to my room and see Kayden, I miss him. And all I could think about was last night, making me smile to myself and blush.

“I think she found a boyfriend, she’s been acting different these days, often smiling and laughing alone” I was distracted from my thoughts when I heard mom tell Jason with a smirk on her face.

“Huh…?” I ask totally lost and confused at why the both of them were staring at me with wide mischievous smiles on their faces.

After we were done eating Jason decided to go to this friend’s house before it gets too late and darker. “I’ll come visit again. I won’t be going back home for a while” Jason said before he left.

I watched his car leave out of drive way and I ran upstairs and into my room to find Kayden on the bed.