chapter 24

“What is he doing here? With her?”

I looked at Brent to see he is still in a serious conversation with Kris. I sighed to myself and decided to go to the washroom still not being able to find Amy or anyone that I may know. I walked through the tsunami of dancing students and finally reached the washroom. I didn’t really want to go to the washroom, it was just an excuse, and it seemed like the best option rather than to stand alone in the middle of everyone.

I forced a fake smile in return to everyone who would smile at me and walked into the washroom. Looked at myself in the mirror, scanned myself and starting to regret coming here, all dressed up. What a waste of energy and time.

“I could’ve just stayed at home with Kayden instead” I thought and started to wash my hands for no reason when I heard a clicking sound behind me. I looked through the mirror reflection to see it’s the heels Liza was wearing.

“I see you have come with Brent” I ignored her and continued to wash my hands, not wanting unnecessary drama.

“I came with your friend Jason. He is such a great guy. I heard that you two are really close”

I was tempted to ask her how she knows Jason, but I decided to keep my mouth shut. I finished washing my hands and left the washroom, totally ignoring Liza’s calls and glares.

Standing in front of the washroom entrance I looked around, again trying to find Amy or James, or Brent or even Kayden. Hoping that he would’ve followed me. But I wasn’t able to spot anyone, instead my eyes landed on the buffet table, which was filled with all sorts of drinks, cupcakes, doughnuts, tarts, etc.

“Food!”

Who needs boys or friends who are not even to be found, when you got so many food calling out your name.
I started walking towards the buffet table. Forgetting everyone, my eyes only on the food. I took a cupcake. My fav. It was covered in white icing which looked so yummy.

Letting the 3 year old kid inside me come out, I scooped up a bit of icing from my finger and licked it, and it tasted like haven. I enjoyed the feeling of the icing melt in my tongue with my eyes closed. It’s just the cupcake and me.

“How is it” came a voice.

“So good” I said still with my eyes closed and lost in the world of cupcakes. I shot my eyes up in realization that someone just talked to me, to see it was Jason.

“Am I disturbing your romantic moment with you and you’re… cupcake?” he asked with a slight laugh.

“Omg hi… and no” I replied with my cheeks turning red from embarrassment.  He came next to me taking a cupcake for himself.

“Mm… it does taste good” he said taking a bite. I too joined him and took a bite from my cupcake. Jason stood in front of me staring at me while I chewed up my cupcake. I started to feel uncomfortable and nervous as to why he is staring.  He came a step closer and brought up his thumb up to my lip. I had my eyes on his thumb, confused. He slowly wiped off which seemed to be icing on my lips. He smiled at me and I gave him a slight smile in return, feeling awkward and embarrassed.

“So…how do you know Liza?” I asked trying to change the subject and allowing curiosity to take over me.

“Oh… her. She is a friend of my friend with whom I’m staying. She wanted a date for prom and asked me. She said that she is a friend of yours. So I thought why not. I got nothing much to do anyways”

“Wait what? Liza and me? Friends?” I burst out laughing. “We are not friends. She hates me.” and we both burst out laughing.

Just then Jason gets a call and excuses himself. And as if on cue Brent came walking towards me.

“Where have you been?” he asked me.

“I was just roaming around. Oh and mom called me a while ago saying… she needs my help in… bandaging… her hand since… she accidently cut her… finger… while cutting vegetables… Could you drop me home?” must’ve been the biggest lie I ever made up.

“Oh okay” he replied with a worried yet sad tone.

We left and started our back home.
“Thank you for today… and also I’m sorry we had to leave early. We couldn’t even dance” I said feeling guilty.

“Oh no it’s fine, just let me know how your mom is doing ok?”

“Oh yeah…sure” and just as I was about to open the door Brent cupped my cheeks and brought my face closer to him and placed a soft kiss on my forehead.

Brent is a good and a very sweet guy. But I don’t want to hurt him and give him more hopes. Its better I tell him the truth and end things here. “Let’s hope he agrees to be my friend at least”

“Brent…” I said taking a deep breath.

“I’m sorry Brent.” His face turned grey, confused. “You’re a good guy Brent. You’re a good friend and I want us to remain as good friends. I don’t want to give you false hope and leave you hanging from a string” I said and looked at him, waiting for a reply.

“I like you Kylie, but I was scared to confess to you, but now I know your answer even if I did confess. And now I feel relieved that I didn’t. I’m sorry if I crossed the line. And I’m happy and thankful that you said the truth Kylie. And yes… we can be friends” he ended with a slight smile on his face. I smiled back and got off the car and watched him drive away.