Chapter 6

Isla came over and to my place, as did our friend Troy. We were drinking wine in my living room at the small table.

Troy was someone I met a few years back in a bar where Isla and I ended up that night. He introduced himself after seeing us talking and offered to buy us drinks. At first, I was suspicious of his actions. But then he told us he was new in town and wanted to meet someone new. He didn't have a girlfriend and came here to be a doctor after finishing his internship.

If you ask me, to this day I don't know how is a handsome, tall, smart and funny doctor still single. Shit, if I weren't gay, I'd tap that.

"So Audrey I heard you got a special guest to help you with some project?" Troy asked, raising both of his eyebrows significantly at me.

"You told him already?" I turned to Isla to yell at her, and she pretended not to listen as she took her glass of wine and sipped through it.

"Yes, Ruby is back." I knew I had to tell him at some point, but I didn't want someone else to do it for me. And now I know I have to tell them what happened the last time.

"There's something you don't know." They both raised their heads at me. "I kissed her."

"What? When?" Isla jumped from her seat immediately.

"Last night. We ended up staying late at the office, and I don't know, it must've been a moment of weakness and I... I couldn't resist."

They were both silent for a few minutes. Troy held his head in his hands, probably wrapping his mind up around the situation. And Isla on the other hand, she was pacing back and forth through my living room.

"And what now?" Isla decided to break the silence finally.

"What now?" I asked.

"What are you planning to do next, stupid?" Troy asked me.

"I haven't really thought about that."

"Look, if this is what you want and if this is what it takes to end your insomnia and depression and all those crappy thing that have been haunting you, then please, go get your girl. And if you can't trust her and you think you will just end up being hurt again, tell me to never let her near you again. Don't do that to yourself again. So, do you think you can trust her again?" Isla's words got some sense to me. But the question is really a tough one.

Can I trust Ruby again?

"Even if I decide I can, I still don't know if she wants anything again. Shit, I don't even now if she's single right now."

"Audrey... sweet Audrey. You just haven't seen the way she looks at you. Those weren't I'm sorry looks, those were I need you looks. From where I was sitting, all I can see are the glances she steals when you pass my desk in that tight skirt of yours. And not just that, the way she sighes when she sits at her desk just after she had a conversation with you. There are probably more stuff, but that's for you to find out. If you want to, of course." Isla genuinely smiled at me.

"You really looked into her, didn't you?"

"What are friends for?" She hugged me and I held her tight.

"Hey! I'm right here." Troy said as he joined the hug.