Chapter 9

Isla's POV

I walked into the building I worked at. After so many years side by side with Audrey, it feels more like I'm the co-owner than her assistant. I help her with everything and she made sure that I never felt underrated and that I have a reasonable paycheck that comes with the job. So basically, this was my second home.

I've also been by her side since that snake Ruby cheated on her three years ago. And I've known her since senior year in college. Audrey then was far more enthusiastic and energetic than Audrey now. Of course, she healed from her no-exiting-the-house phase and came around. But I'm afraid she will never be back to her old self. Unless she falls hopelessly in love again and this time the person doesn't shatter her heart.

I looked at my watch and noticed I was a bit late as I entered the elevator to get on the top floor. Audrey was already in her office and I just decided to greet her and get us coffee to bring it back.

After a few minutes, I hear the elevator door ding and some distant bickering could be heard. The two female voices echoed through the hallway of Porter Architecture. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I finally took the two coffees and entered Audrey's office. The women that I heard before were nowhere in sight now.

That's what I thought before I walked in and saw Audrey's two mothers sitting in the two chairs in front of her desk. And on the other side of the room, there was Audrey's bodyguard. Lea.

"Isla!" Nicole got up and greeted me in a warming hug.

"Hey, Mrs. Porter, long time no see."

"What about me? I want a hug too." Diane stood up and walked towards me her arms open.

"It's always good to see you, Mrs. Diane."

"Really? Our daughter doesn't seem to think so." Diane said and turned to Audrey accusingly and so did Nicole.

Lea and I chuckled at the scene, and it seemed like Audrey didn't find this situation funny at all. She held the bridge of her nose with her two fingers and stared down at the floor.

"Oh come on, mom. You know that's not true. I just don't see the reason to your visit."

"You really don't? Don't you know what is tomorrow?" Diane seemed offended.

"Of course I do. It's your 50th birthday."

"Audrey! You don't need to shout it from the rooftops. Besides, age is just a number. I don't look fifty, do I sweetheart?" Diane turned to her wife and Nicole hugged her from her side.

"You certainly don't, love." Nicole repplied with her australian accent.

"Please stop that." Audrey made a disgusted face because of her mothers' flirting with each other. "So my question is, if it's tomorrow, what are you doing here today? I wouldn't forget to congratulate you."

"The thing is.. I decided last minute I wanted to throw a party. We wanted to come here and invite everyone. I'll call Ethan and James later and make sure they come too."

"Well sure, I'll be there. Wouldn't miss it for the world." Audrey said cynically.

"Oh my baby!" Diane jumped and walked around the desk to hug her daughter.

It was amazing how much she looked like her. The blonde hair, blue eyes, astonishing body figure.. They were mesmerizing. Don't get me wrong, Nicole wasn't at all bad-looking. The Australian woman had her charm that could get a lot of people on their knees. Literally.

"You're such a good actress, mom. For a minute there I thought you were really offended when I said your age." Audrey said.

"Honey, all women are actresses, I'm just clever enough to get paid for it." Diane smirked.

"Hey, I'm standing right here!" Nicole seemed offended by her wife's remark.

Laughter spread through the room and a knock on the door interrupted us. I walked to open it and as soon as I did, I could hear a few surprised gasps.

"Ruby, what are you doing here?" I asked but I was soon interrupted by one of Audrey's moms.

"Ruby? Your Ruby?" Diane asked as she was still hugging her daughter.

"She's not my Ruby! I don't even know what is she doing here. I thought I told you to get off this project." Audrey was angry with her ex standing there and she wasn't trying to hide it.

"That's what I came to talk about. I was wondering if we could have a minute alone." Ruby kept looking at Audrey, not giving attention to anyone else standing there.

"What is it? Tell me now."

"Okay." Ruby swallowed hard. "The company that hired me for this project won't accept you firing me. They think I'm the best architect for this job. So they insisted on me working with you. I told them you wouldn't agree but they just wouldn't listen."

The way the ex couple looked at each other had a different aura. It was like something happened between them. Ruby was more arrogant and confident the last time I saw her around Audrey. Now it seemed like she was a shy girl asking for some kind of permission.

I turned to Audrey who was silent. "Audrey, I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about this. There is a contract we need to behold."

My best friend looked at me for a minute with a dull look in her eyes. She seemed thoughtful about it, but then she finally broke the silence. "Alright then. I guess that settles it. We'll have to be proffessional about this. I'll see you Monday, Ruby."

Then, all of a sudden, Nicole spoke: "I think we should invite Ruby to your birthday party, don't you think, love?" Nicole said after she came closer and hugged Ruby.

The surprise in everyone's eyes was clear.

"What?!" Audrey almost yelled.

"I don't think that's a good idea." Ruby looked at Nicole and made a disapproving face.

"Well, I  think it is." It was Diane's turn to speak. Audrey looked at both of her mothers with surprise. I also couldn't believe what was going on. "I haven't seen you in a long time and since you and my daughter will be working together, I think it's a good idea to bond at the party a little." Diane smiled at them, and Nicole just smirked.

The two of them seemed like they were making some kind of an evil plan. I could see their intentions. They clearly wouldn't go against Audrey's wishes and they knew their daughter best. Since Audrey didn't complain much, it was clearly a sign she wanted this too in her own way.

"Thank you for the invitation, Mrs. and Mrs. Porter. But I think I'll pass." Ruby said.

"You won't." Audrey looked at her ex-lover. "Since my mom wants you there, I won't go against her wishes."

Ruby smiled a bit shy and looked at the ground. She really seemed like she didn't want to go. It was really unclear what was going on here.

"We'll be expecting you." Nicole said and hugged Ruby again before she walked out of the office.

"This party will be interesting." I mumbled.