They Never Check

Past Crowley's wishes came true.
Many years later, he met Aziraphale again, back in Eden, at the Eastern gate, but for what Hell knew, it was in Mesopotamia, year 3004 BC. He was asked to keep an eye on the angel before that, just in case, and so he did, for years, he watched the angel do absolutely nothing but his job "Aw, he's no fun to watch, too perfect, angel" so he decided it was about time to interfere on the angel's duties; it could have gotten them both in trouble, but Crowley knew well neither Hell or Heaven did ever check, because they actually didn't care that much, so he started showing up more often, there was nothing to do really, but Crowley just liked messing Aziraphale up, it was fun.
By the time Mesopotamia happened, the flood and everything, Crowley and Aziraphale were friends.
When the storm started, both of them traveled to the highest mountain and watched as the rains washed away what the Almighty had called sin or evil. When the storm was over, they both watched the first Rainbow appear. By that time, Crowley had just started to realize he could actually trust this angel, he was not like the others, he was not perfect to Heaven's eyes, to his, he definitely was more than perfect, he was his first friend.

And for 3000 years, they remained friends, they had their encounters, few diners, here and then, which Aziraphale loved, after all, he loved food and he loved company, and Crowley began to grow feelings for Aziraphale, he felt different around him, he had seen that in humans, love, something new, but he was unsure, he was a demon and he could not believe he was able to feel that, so he tried to ignore it and just seek the company of that angel as much as he could, and he didn't mind getting caught, after all, they never checked.

Now they were both in Rome, it's the year 41 and Aziraphale was minding his business at some kind of ancient bar, while the demon Crowley was watching him from behind, they hadn't seen each other since Jesus Christ's crucifixion on year 33, and those 8 years for both felt like eternity, mostly for Crowley, who now was sure about what he felt, and determined to hint it in hopes the angel would catch something.
It was so nice talking to him again after all that time, because even if they were supernatural entities, time could also feel eternal for them. Crowley felt something different in the angel though, specially when he talked about the oysters and said "Let me tempt you- Oh wait that's you job". "Perhaps he might have noticed I like him or maybe he likes me, or maybe it's nothing... Just coincidence" Crowley thought to himself, but yes, he was up for the oysters with Aziraphale, and he did try them, but nothing else, not what he had in mind for the day, but still nice anyway.

And their meetings started to be more frequent with time, a few times they did favours for each other, who do you think that made oysters more popular just because he was bored one day and felt certain angel might have liked that? Of course Crowley.

The next time this two officially met was on 537, the Kingdom of Wessex, and of course, they had actually been looking for each other, let's say they both found new 'friends' and needed to catch up with each other, but the meeting didn't go as planned, Aziraphale didn't expect Crowley to suggest they stopped what they were doing, as the result would be almost the same and 'They never check', which actually made Aziraphale quite mad and that his proposal was rejected made the demon sort of mad as well, he knew the angel was hard to convince, but no that much, all he wanted was some free time, have some fun with his favorite angel, but he couldn't have that.

Now it's the year 1601 and our supernatural entities are located at the Globe Theatre, where a poorly motivated Shakespeare was looking at Crowley and Aziraphale, who looked like exact opposites, and was coming with the idea of this play he should call later Romeo and Juliet, of course it had to be a demonic miracle the one who made Hamlet that popular but it worked well for Shakespeare and for Crowley who did it just for Aziraphale's sake, nobody could fight against those puppy eyes he made whenever he wanted something, somehow Aziraphale got everything he wanted in the end.
Paris was not any different. When a very hungry Aziraphale decided to go to France just to get some crêpes, after all, they never checked, they wouldn't care. But who did check was Crowley, well aware of the French revolution and how Aziraphale was probably in trouble, with almost 6000 years of friendship he could feel when he was in trouble. He was not wrong.
The demon meditated this time about saving the angel, almost 6000 years on Earth and Hell didn't even bother to check once, but what if they did this time? Who cares, they never check, and his best friend was in trouble, nothing he couldn't survive, but discorporating him would make it harder for Crowley to find him, and who would miss the opportunity of hanging out with their best friend?
So he did.
"Aw come on angel, tell me you didn't think I'd risk my ass saving you, an angel, just because I was bored?" Present Crowley complained when after telling the reason why he saved the angel, he looked shocked.
"I thought you were just being-" Aziraphale was about to say 'nice' but last time didn't end how he thought it would, though he definitely wouldn't mind having the demon so close to him as last time. "whatever you demons are instead of nice" he decided to end the sentence there.
"Evil, angel, we're evil".
"You know that's not what I mean" Aziraphale was nervous "Anyway, if you let me now, I'll tell you my version of all of this."