Never That Together

Next morning came by and so did Crowley by the bookshop, where he found Aziraphale having some hot chocolate, as usual. Crowley wondered if things would be the same after last night, he for once didn't exactly want things to change, all this years they had been such good friends, and last night and all next moments similar to that should be just an extra, something that would not change their relationship.
"Oh hello there Crowley, I didn't see you." As polite as always, that hadn't changed.
"Coming for a walk angel? There's something we need to talk about, you know, business, Heaven, Hell, that stuff" although in Crowley's mind was more: "No welcome kiss? I expected better from you, angel."
"Give me a second, you can wait by the car if you want to." He was distant, or at least it felt like that, but nothing the demon was going to care about right now, they had to talk, from angel to demon.
Outside they went to the park, as on their usual business.
"They've been pretty silent lately, but this morning the radio talked to me again, well not the radio, but you know." Said Crowley, who Hell decided to contact that morning, even after what happened, they contacted him. "They said they need me, I don't know what for, might be a trap."
"After all we did? I'm quite sure it's a trap, are you planning on going?"
"Not really, we are on our own side, remember?"
"But doesn't it bother you, they didn't tell you what they needed you for, what if it's important"
"All important stuff in Hell have to do with Heaven, and if it were that important they would have told you, wouldn't they?"
"I think Gabriel might not be so keen on telling me stuff in a while, they wanted to kill me a few weeks ago, I don't think they'll talk to me anytime soon" Aziraphale sounded quite nostalgic talking about Heaven, even if he was playing a full new game now, deep down, he missed it.
"Well I don't care, I'm not going, I'm not risking it, if it's really that important, they'll try better" Crowley felt really weird talking to Aziraphale on such formal manners now, it's almost like nothing happened, with the exception that deep down, the desire to kiss the angel was rotting him, but now the angel felt quite distant and he didn't want to push it too far.
"Think I might be leaving now, I've got some plants to take care of" Said Crowley breaking that awkward silence the situation had created.
"Then let me go with you home, I could use some free time anyway" said Aziraphale, with second intentions, Crowley could recognize those.
"Fine, whatever suits you." And the walk home was also quite awkward, none of them knew what to talk about so they started talking about the weather, cliché.
Once they arrived at Crowley's home, and had opened the door, Aziraphale snuck in as well, closing the door behind him, what took Crowley by surprise as the angel came closer, finally, the kiss he had been waiting, and he got it.
Once the unexpected kiss had finished, Aziraphale left, as if nothing had happened "See you soon" he said walking out of the door.
Aziraphale was taking this quite different than what he expected, he went from scared cinnamon roll to leading adult in the spawn of a night, while Crowley was quite more sentimental apparently, more impulsive at least, but he controlled himself, for Aziraphale.
Apparently the angel had taken the lead in their relationship.

Another day, another morning, another phonecall from Aziraphale.
It was quite soon on the morning when the angel had called.
"Crowley! I was wondering if you could come with me to Tadfield today, I wanted to ask Anathema if she would be willing to give me her book and..."
"Yeah I'll go" Crowley didn't even let him finish the sentence, he was up to see the Aziraphale anytime.
"Pick me up at 10"
"What am I angel, your chofer?" He still liked being petty with Aziraphale, it was fun, it had always been fun.
"You are not m-"
"Just kidding" Crowley replied with a soft laugh "see you later." And he hung up.
Any excuse was perfect to spend time with the angel, they both still weren't comfortable with setting a date, or even telling the other they wanted to see each other, so they tried their best to make excuses, specially Crowley, now even more than before, because he felt the angel lit up the good in him, and he learnt to love that feeling, even if it burnt a little, it was nice in the end.
And they did go to visit Anathema, again everything was completely normal, just a few more looks at each other followed by a few smiles on the way there, and on the way back, Crowley realized that the Angel didn't like showing something happened between them to the public, whenever others were near, the angel felt distant, and even when they were alone, at first they still felt a bit awkward, but for a few days, their goodbyes always ended with a passionate kiss.
But a week later, the kisses stopped. It seems they didn't have time for each other, even if one of them wanted to, there was something on the way.
Crowley, who still had a bit of that devilish selfishness in him, wanted to kiss Aziraphale more than anything, and tried and tried to create the perfect situation for them both, but there was always something getting in the way, no matter how small it was, no matter how Crowley didn't actually care about that little thing, it did seem to matter to Aziraphale.
During the first days after their first kiss, Crowley even thought they were together, as a couple, but now he said to his plants on a monologue "I guess we were never that together, maybe it was just a one time thing, something for fun, maybe he doesn't like me anymore." The demon was on full panic mode about this weird relationship, even if nothing was actually different than what it was before their kiss, something was indeed missing for the demon, he didn't know why, but he needed Aziraphale on his life, but he thought, maybe he just didn't care anymore.
But he kept trying.