SPIRIT

I've never been one who kept up with the rumour mill or the gossips circulating around, its not like I had anyone to keep me updated anyways. Usually, I would just mind my own business and keep to myself.

This time however, it didn't take me long to figure out the hot topic around school. White and gold streamers lined the hallways, cheerleaders parading around the property almost every morning chanting the school cheer, the large banner hung right at the main entrance with bold printed letters that read 'TEAM PHOENIX'.

If all of that weren't conspicuous enough, then the football players made sure to bring the point across with their flamboyant letterman jacket.

Ever since football season started, the players have started wearing their white letterman jacket with gold embroidery instead of the usual school blazer. Apparently, they were permitted to do so.

At my previous schools, football wasn't that big of a deal, which was why I was surprised at all the pompous display of school spirit. Almost every single student had a white and gold threaded bracelet around their wrist, some girls even went as far as to paint their cheeks with stripes of white or gold.

There was also this constant buzz of energy amongst the student body, no one could stop talking about the game.

"Here take it." Dustin said, breaking my train of thoughts.

He dangled a similar bracelet everyone was wearing infront of my face, swaying it back and forth to get my attention.

"Ah...I don't like wearing those on my wrist, it gets in the way when I write." I gently pushed his hand away, giving him what I hoped was an apologetic  smile.

His face fell, "Oh...okay...hold on, I've got an idea."

He dug around his backpack for a bit and pulled out a strip of white ribbon silk. I stared at him quizzically, wondering what he was about to do, "I'm not wear-"

"Just turn around." Dustin cut in and without waiting for me to react, spun me around such that my back was facing him.

I then felt his hand tugged at my ponytail and realised he was tying it around my hair.

"Now you've got a cute bow and you're joining in on the school spirit." He declared, sounding satisfied with his handiwork.

I reached out and traced my fingertip along the neat bow he had tied, a small smile gracing my lips.

For once, joining in sounded...fun.

I wasn't much of a pushover, a people pleaser maybe, albeit not by choice, but definitely not amicable enough to say yes to everything I was asked.

However, I didn't think one could actually say no when the dean stopped you after you came out of the restroom, thrusted a folder into your hands and said "Bring this to the football coach please." before walking off.

Sighing internally, I slowly padded towards the field, the tiredness from a long school day weighing heavily on me.

The buildings were mostly empty, not a single student in sight until I emerged into the open field. Cheerleaders could be seen stretching on the tracks while the football boys were engaging in light warmups out on the grass.