Window to Narnia

(Kellin's POV)

I sat at my regular table, the loud, somewhat preppy people laughing all around me. Kelly Bishop had her hand locked with mine because she thought we were official. Honestly, all we did was hang out at Mike's one time together, smushed together on the couch, and she thinks I have a thing for her. I don't ever recall even asking her out or merely telling her I like her.

But I wasn't that big of a douche and plus she was pretty, so I went with it. I squeezed her hand and smiled a little, and she returned the gesture. "Kellin, what's going on with your mom and the Fuentes'?" Jaime asks with an amused smile. "Oh, same as it always has been." I mutter, picking at the fries on my plate. "Dude, I wanna see them fight. Mom on mom!" Alan cheers and we all laugh, I throw my head back at the thought of my mother fighting.

The bell rings and I jump up, releasing Kelly's hand, to toss my food. When I return to get my bag, she's waiting for me. "So, guess what happened with Jenna?" She says, pushing some of her red hair from her face. She tucks it behind her ear and purses her lips. Jenna and Kelly had been nemesis since third grade, when Kelly kissed Jenna's crush, Patrick. The short lad didn't even mind betraying Jenna but Jenna still stayed mad at Kelly instead. Strange what so called love can do to friendship.

"What?" I ask reluctantly. I'd heard these stories so many times, I could recite the death glare from across the gym one off the top of my head. "I was walking with Ashley and Jenna was walking with Tay and all of a sudden, when they walked by, they flipped their hair! Total bitch move! Don't you agree?" Before I could speak, she fired off again. "I mean, I didn't even do anything! That was third grade and she's still acting dramatic over it." Kelly rolls her dark eyes and scoffs as she pushes the double doors open.

Luckily my class is just a few doors down so I prepare to depart from her. "Maybe she really liked him," I say. "But she should be over it. Or maybe she still likes him." I give her something to gossip about so she's off my back for the day and she seemed to fall for it, Kelly gasps and drops my hand and pulls her phone out. I roll my eyes in secret and stop in front of my door, other kids piling in around me. I wanted to say: Help me!

She finished typing her message to the people in her contacts, no doubt starting a rumor, and then smiled at me. "Well, I'll see you at the buses." She kissed my cheek and I send her a small smile. "See you." I say quietly and drop my hand from her waist. She switches her hips as she walks away, I clench my head as I feel a headache coming on. I really need to grow a set and tell her to fuck off, I think sorrowfully as I enter the class.

_______

I quickly peck Kelly's lips and smile a little, then rush on the bus, trying to forget the taste of her lips. She was a good kisser but it didn't make me weak at the knees or anything, like I expected. After plopping down in my seat, I immediately pull my headphones from my bag and start up some Green Day. I smile a little as I watch the cars and asphalt slide by.

The people around me are laughing over my music, irking my nerves in the worst way possible. But, I say nothing. I never do. I turn the music up, humming along to Jesus Of Suburbia as quiet as I possibly can. My mind floats to the events to come, the routine that I would follow in a matter of minutes. I roll my big eyes and lay my head back as the song switches, something by Foo Fighters.

I'd walk into the house and sit at the dining room table, pulling out papers and and a pencil to do homework. Then my mother would ask what I wanted for dinner, overcook it, and then I'd run up to my room to focus until the food dings. Then I'd be forced to eat some of the weird food and take a shower and then read until bed. Every single night, this was my life.

My frown sank deeper and I sighed again. I could see my brick house in the distance, only making my day worse. When the driver stopped, I wanted to tell her to keep going, take me somewhere new, but I never piped up. After slugging my weight off the bus ruefully, I walked up to my house with Claw nudging at my leg and licking at the jean material. I chuckle and rub behind his ears a little before opening and shutting the door, thinking about letting him in for once. Don't let that beast in on my carpet! It's expensive, my mother would say. He's filthy.

No, I'd think. You are.

I do my regular routine, doing my homework as quick as possible and hoping Mother would order in tonight instead of her damned cooking. Speak of the devil, I hear her keys rattling as the door opens at the entrance and her heels being kicked off. Her feet shuffle on the carpet until they reach the hardwood of the kitchen and they began to squish.

"How was your day?" She asks, placing her keys on the counter. "Normal." I grumble, scribbling something about Shakespeare. I didn't know much about him or his work but I needed the grades, so I did my best. "What's for dinner?" She continues, back to me as she glances around the fridge. I roll my eyes and sigh, then write my name on the paper and shove it in my bag.

"I'm not hungry. Cook what you want." I stand and zip my bag, then head for the stairs. But of course, she had to fake that I'm A Concerned Mother look and call my name. "Something wrong?" She's only asking because she knows I'll give a half-assed answer and storm up the steps and then she'll be free to spy on the Fuentes home as she wishes.

I shake my head and go to my room, head facing the stairs. Once I reach my room, I flop on my bed and look up the ceiling, pursing my lips. Why is my life so boring? Why must everything be about order and routine and cycle? I run my fingers through my hair and sigh, feeling disappointed. My teen years will be over and I'll still be trying to get out the box I've put myself in. I'll be trapped.

To distract myself, I walk over to my window, my blue eyes trained on the Fuentes house. For some reason, I wonder what Vic is doing. Maybe it was the incident from yesterday morning, how he'd broken my routine and made my whole day awesome. I see his curtains rustle and then open, and then we are staring at one another. His brown eyes are glaring at my blue ones but not in the way our parents' meet. There is no hatred or disgust, but also not excitement, like I suspect mine hold. We just looked at one another.

His lips twitched and then he was smiling. Mine do the same and I almost make myself stop. But I don't because this is Vic and he's broken my routine again. I'm usually showering by now, singing Ed Sheeran or Nirvana as I washed, but here I was, focusing on him. He raises his hand and waves, lips pulling into a wider smile. I do the same, I wave and smile a little wider. Vic chuckles and I blush at the sight, his pretty teeth are on display and his head bows a little, hand dropping at his side.

Vic looks at me once again, hardly any expression on his face anymore, and then pulls his curtains. I gulp in disappointment, trying desperately to picture that short laugh again. But the image is gone and irreplaceable, I will never see that exact image again. My stomach lurches and I shut my curtains as well. Alright, I think with a sigh. Stop thinking about the Fuentes boy and go shower.

But I thought about the mystery that was Vic Fuentes the whole time I showered.