Thanks To You

(Kellin's POV)

I skipped into the house, feeling like the king of the world.

I kissed Vic, I cheered internally, I finally kissed him!

Me and Mom actually ate dinner together. Not that I even really liked it, it was Greek, which I didn't really enjoy, but at least I sat and had a meal with her. As I was leaving the table, her hand clenches around my wrist softly, as if she wants to say something. "Thanks." She mutters. I hum and pull away, then head to the kitchen.

I dump my plates and head up, phone dangling in my fingers. I pause on the stairway to send the main recipient of my affection a message. I miss you already >~<

After changing into warm pajamas, I slide under my covers as I wait for a reply from my favorite boy in the world. Same here..ugh. I grin a little and roll onto my side, replying quickly. We talk for about an hour, about random things and about how we kissed one another, then I wanted to go to bed. We said goodnight, rather cutely, and then I let out a long breath of relief. Fucking finally. I'd kissed Vic Fuentes. My neighbor, supposed to be enemy, and best friend.

_____

(Vic's POV)

I can't.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not focus on my work, thanks to a black haired devil named Kellin. All I could think about was Kellin's lips and how they felt and how much warmth his touch had left all over me despite the near freezing temperature outside. After realizing that no work would be getting done, I stand up and go to Mom's room. The stairs creak under my footsteps as I near the room I'd spent most of my teen years in.

Even before she got sick, Mom and I were still close. And I think that's why it hurt so bad to see her this way. So close to death, but in so much pain. "Is that y-you, Vic?" She said in her light Irish accent. I smile slightly and settle onto my knees next to the bed. She smiles back at me and touches my cheek, hand shaking a little. "I came to check on you, Mama." I say just above a whisper. She coughs for a little, hand dropping from my cheek and hitting the bed with a hollow thump.

She clears her throat and then sighs. "Medicine?" So I stand and rush to her bathroom, grabbing the pills and heading to the side of her bed. When she takes them, I fiddle with my hands, feeling dread wash over me. I situate back beside the bed and lay my head on her chest, like I've done so many times before. Soon, I hear her softly crying, weak sounds leaving her mouth. "I'm sorry, Vic," she sputters out. "I didn't mean for--" she coughs a few times, then continues. "This to happen."

Shaking my head, I pull away, then walk to the other side of the bed and crawl in. I lay with my head on her shoulder, my hand resting on her arm. She cries quietly for a while longer, a few tears slipping from my eyes as well, then she drifts into an exhausted sleep. Staring off into space, I didn't even feel my phone vibrating. Why? Why? Why? This doesn't make any sense, I choke on more tears, gasping and heaving. Why us?

Why can't things just be different?

_____

"What," I say hoarsely, wiping my nose. I pull the blankets higher around me and continue staring out of to window.

"Are you okay? You sound sick." Kellin says from the other end of the phone. Am I okay? Yeah, my mother is just, you know, dying. "Why did you call," I question instead, sounding like more of a statement.

He pauses like he knows something is up. "What's the matter, Vic?" He asks. There's a deafening silence between us before I speak up. My voice crackles. I stutter. I choke on tears. My eyes refill and the tears burn down my cheeks. The heat submerges my face and I feel the nausea take over again. Everything comes apart, no matter how tight I was binding myself together. And he listens.

Kellin doesn't talk until I stop. I don't know if he understood me, nor do I care. If we met under the tree, I would explain better, but for now, things were jumbled and he didn't seem to mind. He was just there for me and that's it, that's all I needed. I let out a long breath and the redness in my cheeks dies down and my eyes dry, my insides calming down instead of trying to exit my body through my throat. "Your mom?" He asks quietly after a little silence.

I nod, but then remember that he can't see me.

"How about I come over?"

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Please. I need you here, Kellin.

"I don't know," I say instead. He hums, "Why not?" I close my eyes and rub them, feeling the pressure under my fingers. "No, um," I sniffle. "Actually, yes, come over. I want you to." He chuckles a little and I hear him moving in slow shuffles. I imagined that he was getting ready, the images bring a blush over my cheeks. "You want me to?" He asks, almost teasing me. "Yes." I say, not showing amusement.

"That's all I needed. On the way, darling." He laughs a little. I laugh lightly and sniffle, feeling a little better already. Damn, the things he can do to me. I hang up but can still picture him running across the yard or something. Mom coughs in her room and my insides churn, and I squeeze my eyes shut. Then an idea pops upon my mind. A crazy idea, but one I know is a good one.

_____
[yes, Vic's mom is irish.
a lot of people portray her as a Spanish woman but she isn't.
his dad is where the fuentes brothers get their lovely mexican heritage from (:]
ANYWAY; oooooh what's the idea? ;)
hope you guys liked this
it is a filler but the next one will be very eventful.
x