The Awful Method of Changing The Subject

(Kellin's POV)

I smile as my last class begins; after this, I get to go home and talk to Vic, I think happily. We'd been talking every day on the phone, texting I mean. Mom would probably get suspicious because I never talk over the phone. We begin in the morning and do not stop talking until we say goodnight.

He doesn't come to the windows like he used to, I think it's because we have a way to actually communicate clearly now. No mixed signals or guessed meanings behind hand motions. We can actually say what we mean, and it's a lot easier than before. What class are you in? I smile slightly and glance around to make sure the creative writing teacher is writing on to he board so I can reply to him.

Creative writing, last class. Why aren't you in school? I hit send and pocket my phone as Jaime sits next to me. He's talking fast about a party at some guy named Jack's house and how crazy it will be and how many chicks will be wasted. In my opinion, it didn't sound too fun, but I nod and smile anyway. "You coming? I'll pick you up." He asks, resting his weight on his elbows. My phone buzzes but I don't pull it out right away.

"I might. Depends on what I have going on, I guess." I shrug, picking at my nails to seem occupied. "Something with Kelly?" He asked with an amused tone. I look up at him then, obviously unamused. He holds his hands up in surrender but my expression doesn't change. It isn't even funny to joke about her, that's how much she annoys me. Just the thought of her voice makes me feel uncomfortable.

"You don't seem too happy?" He questions, raising a suspicious brow. Oh, no, I think. If he finds out, he might tell her. "Uh, I'm just tired. I don't want to talk about her." He nods, "Argument?" I nod again and purse my lips for emphasis. He rolls his eyes and says something about girls and their attitudes, then turns around to talk to some guy named Christofer with black and blonde hair and spider bites. Chris smiles and replies something, then shakes his head.

Maybe they're discussing the party? If I break up with Kelly, he could take her. Yeah, he might be her type. He seemed a little on the hippie side though. Maybe she was into that. I push her from my mind and grab my composition book. I look at the daily prompt that's scribbled into the white board. Write about something that makes you smile, in poem form. Oh God, I suck at poetry.

I have a neighbor

Oh, sacred neighbor

We sit beneath the big willow where no one will ever see,

I have a neighbor

Oh, sweet neighbor

Who's darkest secrets are only known to me.

I stop there, looking down at what I've written and then think about erasing it all and writing about Kelly. But she doesn't make me smile, I think. Why would I lie? I remember I have a message from Vic and pull out my phone to read it. Idk I've been homeschooled since I was little and I never changed it. Coming over today? I smile a little and tap my pen on the desk in thought. Should I go? I wondered if his parents knew about the other day. Then I thought, why would they?