Chapter 22: Ninjaball Run

Lloyd's training in Dareth's dojo. In preparation to bare the fate of Ninjago on his shoulders, he is doing a one-handed handstand while balancing the male Ninja and Master Wu on his feet. Aria's sitting against the wall watching. It's going surprisingly well, but Lloyd drops them when a wrecking ball crashes through the dojo's wall. 

"Aria!" Lloyd shouted, the dust settled and everyone stared looking shocked

"A-Aria" Cole said

Aria looked at them "what"

Aria was standing in front of the wrecking ball with one hand on it, It was stopped in place. Aria looked and took her hand off it.

"I-I... what!" Aria shouted freaked out and Wu smiled

"good, training is going well then" Wu said

"No no no!" Dareth shouted "It wasn't supposed to start until tomorrow!"

"Dareth what's going on?" Cole asked

"Unless I can pay fifty thousand dollars, a company named Darnagom Enterprises plans to buy the entire block and put in a frisbee golf course." Dareth explained sadly

"Darnagom is an anagram of Garmadon" Zane informed them

"he's gonna destroy the dojo so Lloyd will have nowhere to train" Kai said

"The Ninjaball Run, the biggest and most dangerous road race in Ninjago, is the next day and the grand prize is one hundred thousand dollars" Nya said

"We can enter with the Ultra Sonic Raider" Jay suggested

"And I can enter with the Ultra Dragon" Lloyd said

"Aria are you riding with Lloyd?" Zane asked

"no I'm good" Aria said

"are you sure? it'll be fun" Lloyd asked

"yeah i'm sure" Aria said before leaving

The next day, the race is about to begin. Nya shows up to tell the Ninja about a special addition she added to the Raider in case they need it, activated by a lever, but because of the uproar, they are unable to hear what it does, and Nya has to leave before she can explain it again. 

Soon after, the other racers make their way to the starting line, including the Royal Blacksmiths, Ed and Edna, Captain Soto and his pirates, Kruncha and Nuckal, Gene and Brad, the Mailman, and Aria.

"Aria are you gonna join us?" Kai asked

"nope" she said

"what are you doing here then?" Jay asked

"for myself" Aria replied putting her hands in front of her and out of nowhere an elemental motorbike materialized

"woah" the ninja said

"Like when we made our vehicles with the golden weapons" Zane said

"I don't need a golden weapon to make mine" Aria said as she got on

"good luck" Lloyd said from his dragon

"may the best ninja win, it'll be us" Kai smirked

"we'll see about that hot shot" Aria smirked as a helmet materialized on her head

The race begins, and the contestants race off except for the Ninja, whose Ultra Sonic Raider loses a track (due to Gene and Brad tampering with it before the race). After some time the Ninja succeed in fixing the Raider and join the race again.

The race has now changed terrain to the desert where the Pirates crash into the rocks and are put out of the race, due to No-Eyed Pete's driving. Just as the Ninja begin to catch up to the other racers, Lord Garmadon appears and begins to shoot at the Ninja.

Lloyd accidentally crashes the Ultra Dragon into the ship, causing the shot to miss them. Lloyd and the Ninja decide to work together to win. 

"Where's Aria?" Cole asked

"somewhere up ahead, I haven't seen her" Lloyd answered

At the Birchwood Forest just as Lloyd points out a shortcut for the Ninja to take, the Ultra Dragon is brought down by Kruncha and Nuckal, but they crash soon after. The action then cuts to the stands, where the announcers ask Dareth the Ninjas' purpose in participating. After Dareth tells them how they're trying to save the dojo, the crowd energetically cheers for the Ninja.

Back on the race track at the Glacier Barrens, the Ninja notice their gas is running out. Ed and Edna, after hearing about the dojo, offer to give them their gas, but if the Ninja stop they'll be put in last place. The only option is for them to connect a pipe to both gastanks and transfer the gas while they're racing. 

Lord Garmadon interferes and sends the Serpentine to stop them. Although this fails, Ed and Edna's car is wrecked in the progress. Jay takes a piece from their car and attaches it to the front of the Raider to ensure that at least a piece of their car would make it to the finish line.

The race is in its final stretch, and Lord Garmadon and the Ninja are tied. To ensure he wins, Lord Garmadon wishes for a divide that the Ninja will not be able to cross. Although hope seems lost, Kai uses the lever that Nya installed which causes the Raider to fold out hidden wings and cross the divide. 

The ninja cross the finish line before Garmadon and cheered.

"We won" Kai said happily

"Oh hi boys" they turned to see Aria leaning against her bike with her helmet in her hands "what took so long?"

"WHAT" they shouted

"Aria won" Nya said

"She cheated!" Garmadon shouted angry

"I was faster, it's a race isn't it, fastest wins" Aria smirked

Garmadon then realizes that while he stepped off The Black Bounty, Lloyd has gotten on and regained it for the Ninja. The police arrive soon after and inform Lord Garmadon he is under arrest, but Skales pulls in and Lord Garmadon escapes with the Serpentine. 

"This isn't the last time we'll see him" Nya said

Dareth celebrates the Dojo being saved by cannon-balling into the money-filled trophy. 

"Now who's the best ninja" Aria asked slyly

"what- I- um" Kai sighed in frustration

"May the best ninja win, that's what you said right" Aria asked

"yes" Kai sighed defeated

"so who's the best ninja boys" Aria questioned

"you are" The ninja said

"exactly" Aria smirked and Lloyd hugged her

"I'm still better" Lloyd said

"better at falling" Aria said rolling her eyes and the ninja laughed