Chapter 31: Return of the Overlord

(Thank you everyone that comments on the chapters I really enjoy reading your comments)

The ninjas return to the beach, where Dr. Julien awaits. "What were those horns?"

"the Celestial Clock has ended its countdown, the final battle is about to begin, Lord Garmadon's ultimate weapon is operational, and Nya is a prisoner of the Stone Army" Wu explains

"Nya will be too tough for the villains to break, we will see her again" Kai assures a worried Jay 

Master Wu turns to Lloyd, who is still dejected over the prospect of fighting his father "it is your destiny as the Chosen One to defeat him, all of Ninjago depends on your victory, Aria's counting on you"

"Lord Garmadon is just as reluctant to fight you" Misako said

Reinvigorated by his friends' support, Lloyd leads the charge on Lord Garmadon's base camp, only to find it deserted. The Falcon leads them to massive tracks and a path of destruction leading towards the coast.

The group moves on, but Zane is forced to say goodbye to his father, who is unable to keep up and decides to head back to the Bounty. As they run, the Ninja reflect on all of their adventures, but the jovial mood is broken when they sense an evil presence nearby. 

Suddenly, a crimson Spinjitzu tornado hits Cole and Lloyd, and stops in front of the group to reveal Nya, corrupted by the Dark Matter into a feral slave of Lord Garmadon. Master Wu realizes that the villains are trying to buy time to fire the ultimate weapon, and he, Misako, and Lloyd carry onward while the Ninja attempt to subdue Nya without hurting her.

Lloyd, Misako, and Master Wu arrive before Lord Garmadon can fire. Aria's eyes were her normal green color but her father's powers bounded her to his side. 

To the Overlord's dismay, Lord Garmadon leaves the controls to confront his family,  he insists that the only way they can be together again is if he corrupts the entire world with the same evil that has consumed his being.

With that, Lord Garmadon activates the Garmatron's cannon, only to discover that it has a twenty-second warm-up period. 

"Why didn't you tell me it had to worm up!" Garmadon shouted

"It's a giant weapon, what makes you think it can just build up enough power in a second to fire across the entire ocean" Aria said in annoyance

"Aria hang on I'm gonna get you" Lloyd said

"Trust me greenie, I ain't going anywhere" Aria replied

Misako deflects blasts from the tank's side cannons, allowing Lloyd to jump aboard; however, General Kozu manages to pin the Green Ninja down long enough for the Garmatron to fire. The warhead soars over the ocean and bursts into clouds of darkness over Ignacia, draining the color from the land and transforming the people into snarling, purple-eyed beasts. 

Lloyd attempts to summon his powers as the Stone Army loads another round, but Lord Garmadon activates a trap door that drops Lloyd and General Kozu out of the Garmatron before firing again. The Overlord begins cackling as the Garmatron's second shot corrupts Jamanakai Village.

"I failed" Lloyd said sadly

"you did what you could" Wu assured him

"the balance has been undone" Misako said

"What's funny!" Lord Garmadon shouted angrily

"I can now cross over into this world, to take over Ninjago" The Overlord laughed

"No! Ninjago is mine to conquer!" Garmadon shouted

"It was never yours!" the Overlord shouted and a blast knocked him unconscious

"Dad!" Lloyd shouted worried but didn't move

"Aria my dear daughter" the Overlord said moving closer to her

"Leave her alone! Aria get out of there!" Lloyd shouted

"D-Dad" Aria stuttered scared

"I'm sorry sweety but daddy's in need of your body" the Overlord said as he started to merge with Aria

"ARIA" Lloyd shouted and was held back by the ninja

"The darkness within Aria allows her father to enter her body and use it as his own, this is Aria's destiny" Wu explains

"no" Lloyd said sadly as the ninja let him go

"That's why she wasn't in the temple of light with us" Jay said

"Female body or Male body it doesn't matter, I am back" The Overlord said as he emerged in Aria's body

"The Overlord will show no mercy" Misako reminds her son

"I'm sorry Aria" Lloyd mumbled as they started the attack once again

Seeking more evil power to increase his strength, the Overlord aims the Garmatron's cannon at Ninjago City, but nothing happens. Looking over the side of his vehicle, the Overlord realizes that the whole of his army is occupied fighting the Ninja, with Master Wu and Misako preventing the Stone Soldiers from bringing the next warhead to the Garmatron. 

Although General Kozu attacks Master Wu, the old master kicks him into the Garmatron's loading port—thinking that the next bullet is loaded, the Overlord fires, sending his own general flying into Ninjago City. Enraged, the Overlord decides to load the cannon personally, only for Lloyd to leap atop the Garmatron and challenge him to battle.

While Kai hijacks one of the Garmatron's turrets to back Jay up against the remnants of the Stone Army, the Overlord knocks Lloyd off of the tank. Their battle continues on the beach, briefly clashing with energy beams before Lloyd dodges and blasts his foe into the jungle. The Overlord quickly recovers and flies above the trees, delivering a brutal tackle that sends Lloyd flying. 

"I can keep this up for eternity but you are alone" The Overlord gloats

In response, Lloyd removes his mask "No I'm not, Aria will never hurt me"

Aria briefly asserts herself from within the Overlord "Lloyd"

The Overlord's confusion and shock gives Lloyd an opportunity to take the offensive. As they clash with their energy beams once more, Lloyd calls out to Aria, whose struggles cause the Overlord to falter. Lloyd pushes his power to the limit.

"Aria is gone!" the Overlord roars before overcoming Lloyd's attack, trapping the Green Ninja in a sphere of dark energy and hurling him across the beach. Misako and Master Wu rush to Lloyd's side as the Overlord finally turns the Garmatron's cannon on his foes, but the tank's next shot is blocked by the Bounty, piloted by Dr. Julien.

Fed up with the interference, the Overlord creates a portal for his army, declaring that they will go to Ninjago City personally to finish the job. From the back of the Garmatron, Nya mockingly bids farewell to her brother as he leaps at the portal, only to fall short. 

Kai screams in fury and despair as the portal closes, leaving the heroes trapped on the Island of Darkness. Misako manages to awaken Lloyd.

"I lost" Lloyd sighed

"You did not defeat the Overlord, but you did not lose your life either" Wu said

Lloyd picked up a piece of the Destiny's Bounty, marked with the symbol for destiny.

"Today we didn't lose the battle, we just lost the fight" Lloyd said looking off into the sea