Chapter 39: Spellbound

In a blimp above Chen's Island, each of the remaining contestants are acting hostile towards each other in some way.

"I don't know why you bothered coming, you'll be eliminated thanks to that leg of yours" Griffin Turner said to Jay

Kai is still convinced that Shadow is the spy, as the latter wishes to fight him to settle things, and Skylor is annoyed with Paleman flirting with her. Lloyd is nervous about the height they're at, as is a scared Neuro. 

"Are you afraid of heights Neuro?" Aria asked

"mhm" Neuro confirmed before going into the cockpit "It's empty!"

On a screen, Chen announces the competitors won't be hunting for the Jadeblades; they'll be hunting Nya, with the promise of moving the one who captures her to the final round. The Ninja realize she has the spell, and that they'll need to find her before the others do. 

Chen then tells everyone that he'll open the bottom to start the challenge, and releases parachutes for everyone except Garmadon, claiming he didn't know he was there. The bottom opens and everyone scrambles to grab a parachute while free-falling.

Aria just stared at the ground. As Lloyd and his father grab the last parachute, Garmadon says it is an very easy choice and Lloyd agrees. Finally as the Green Ninja activates the parachute for his father, Garmadon who is very shocked reacts, saying, "What have you done!?" 

"Aria where's yours" Lloyd asked grabbing onto her hand

"Their was none for me" Aria replied looked at the ground

"Hey look at me, don't look at the ground look at me" Lloyd said moving her chin to look at him

Lloyd tries to summon his Dragon. Just before he hits the trees, he overcomes his fear of falling and creates the Elemental Energy Dragon to safely land himself and Aria. After the Elemental Masters land, Chen says that there are "special gifts" hidden around the island to aid them in their search for Nya. 

Shade takes a bow and arrows while Jay decides to take a mech so he doesn't have to walk. The Elemental Masters set off following footprints.

"It could be a trap" Aria said turning around "the Samurai X symbol is on that tree over there, follow that"

"Aren't you coming?" Lloyd asked grabbed her hand

"I have a score to settle" Aria replied

"Ok, stay safe" Lloyd said putting his forehead against hers "I love you"

"I love you too" Aria said before kissing his cheek "be safe" 

Still following the symbols, Lloyd is confused that his father trained with Chen, yet fought alongside Wu in the wars, and questions the reason the truce was abandoned. The Serpentine attacked first, and although the Elemental Masters fought back easily, they had never encountered anything like the Anacondrai, who were stronger, smarter and natural leaders in battle.

After the Elemental Alliance was subdued, Jamanakai Village was captured in the name of General Arcturus, the leader of the Anacondrai and the Serpentine. Chen had thought he could get momentum by siding with the Serpentine, and wanted Garmadon by his side. However, the Lord only wanted to fight for Misako and decided to leave Chen to battle by Wu's side.

As the sons of the First Spinjitzu Master, they led the alliance into battle and began to win: however, Chen managed to unravel that, as he convinced the Elemental Master of Earth to fight for the snakes, resulting in the alliance being weakened. With inspiration from a snake charmer, Garmadon had the Masters use sacred flutes to hypnotize each Serpentine tribe, divide them, and have them locked away in seperate tombs. 

Chen and Clouse were then exiled for their treason, and Arcturus and the six remaining generals, under Mistaké's suggestion, were banished to the Cursed Realm so they couldn't set foot in Ninjago again. Lloyd is amazed Wu and Misako are still in the dark about Garmadon's past with Chen, where he states that telling them would have caused him to lose them both. Using the advice he had been given earlier, Lloyd convinces his father to come clean: in response, Garmadon agrees to do so after they defeat Chen, and they go back to finding Nya. 

By night, Nya is still running until she bumps into someone before seeing she has caught up to Lloyd and Garmadon.

"They've captured everyone" Nya said panicked before giving them the spell. 

"Aria?" Lloyd questioned worried

"I haven't seen her" Nya said

Upon seeing it's a transformation spell, Garmadon realizes Chen plans to turn his followers into an army of Anacondrai and states that though the Tournament is over, the next Serpentine War is on the verge of beginning.

At the D.B. Express, Chen has captured Kai, who is thrown into its cell with the other Masters, who are sad at what fate awaits them.

"Lloyd and Aria can still save us" Jay said

"I'm planning on it" Chen declares "the green one will come, but don't count on the purple one"

Chen laughed evilly as Skylor looks at Kai knowing she had not only betrayed his trust: she had broken his heart.

"What happened to Aria!?!" Kai asked angrily

"She's probably laying dead in a river somewhere" Chen laughed "Clouse what happened"

"Very simple my lord, I exterminated your pest problem" Clouse replied evilly

"No" Jay said sadly "their's no way"

"They're lying Jay" Kai said as Chen and Clouse walked away laughing "They have to be"