Side Story 11: Happiness

(1)

In the room, the six year old An Ran was drawing, while the four year old An Yi and An Le were watching cartoons. An Yize was sitting on the sofa reading a book and Su Jian laid on An Yize's legs while using his phone.

While reading the news, Su Jian saw an article about the imbalanced gender ratio in China. In a couple of years, there would be 30 million bachelors. Su Jian poked An Yize and showed him the news. "Look at how lucky you are!"

An Yize smiled and said, "Yes."

Su Jian was very satisfied with his reply. However, he started feeling worried. Looking at his two sons who were playing at the side, he sighed, "In the future, women will become more and more precious. It will be harder and harder to get a wife."

Following Su Jian's line of sight, An Yize looked over. "We don't have to be worried about our children."

"That is true for our eldest son. Although Xiao Yi is only 4 years old, his mathematical ability has already exceeded that of a primary 3 student. However," Su Jian continued worriedly, "Le Le can't even count properly, losing track after 20. Our youngest son is so dense, what if he can't find a wife in the future?"

An Le who had just finished watching one episode of the cartoon happened to hear what Su Jian said. He ran over and ask, "Mommy, what is a wife?"

Su Jian explained, "Someone who will live with you in the future."

Unable to understand, An Le asked, "Won't Daddy, Mommy, Big Brother, and Big Sister live with me?"

"Once you have a wife, Le Le will live with your wife." After explaining, Su Jian suddenly felt like teasing his youngest son. "Le Le, look at you. You can't even count to fifteen. People who can't count to fifteen won't have a wife in the future!"

An Le asked, "Will Big Brother have one?"

Su Jian nodded his head, "Of course. Your brother can count to one thousand."

An Le thought for a moment and said with a small voice, "Then, I will borrow Brother's wife in the future."

"......" Su Jian almost choked. "No, a wife can't be borrowed."

An Le asked in confusion, "Then what should I do?"

Su Jian was very amused by An Le's dense expression. He tried his best not to show it on his face as he sighed, "Yea. Brother will have a wife but Le Le won't have one. What should we do?"

An Le started feeling scared. Thinking for a moment, he ran to An Yi's side and said, "Brother, can I be your wife in the future?"

Su Jian was stunned, "Wouldn't one normally say 'Can you be my wife'!"

An Yize sighed, "Jian Jian, your point of concern is also strange."

On the other side, An Yi was holding onto his younger brother's hand. He nodded seriously and said, "Okay."

Su Jian, "......"

An Ran carried the picture she had finished drawing. Passing by her two brothers, she said lightly, "Stupid, a wife needs to be female."

An Le blinked his eyes. He looked at his sister, then towards Su Jian.

Then, he ran towards Su Jian side and asked, "Mommy, can you be my wife?"

Su Jian: "......" Is this what they call smashing one's own leg with a rock!

An Yize said, "Le Le, Mommy is Daddy's wife. She can't be your wife."

An Le stared at him eagerly and asked, "I want to live with Mommy in the future. Daddy, can't you give me half a wife?"

Su Jian felt awkward in his heart, but at the same time warm. He almost blurted "okay".