Roles

Okay so this is that second chapter I was taking about earlier. While I got Hannah to write down the stuff about the ages, she also explained the roles and jobs of all of us in the system. I gave you all the names of what types of alters we all are, but I'm bad at explaining exactly what it is we all do. So yeah.

Same thing, I'll use italics when I'm speaking throughout the rest of this post. The normal try is all stuff Hannah wrote out in our journal for me.

Okay. So each of the alters were created to fulfill a specific role/do a certain job. All of these jobs are to help care for or protect Faith in some way. But, some of the jobs expand to the rest of the system, too.

Let's start with Hannah herself, shall we? Based on this chapter and the last chapter, I'm sure you guys have already picked up on what Hannah's role must be.

Hannah

Okay so I'm a combination of two different types of alters: Protector Alter and Internal Self Helper Alter. These two roles tend to go hand in hand so it's actually pretty common to see these two overlap. A protector is pretty easy to understand. My job is to protect Faith, and the rest of the system from harm. I take over the body in damaging situations in order to protect the rest of you, and I make decisions for the system based on what I think is safest. Internal Self Helper is a little more complicated though. My job in this sense is to know everything there is to know about the system. I understand it in it's entirety the best out of all of us, and I am the best at talking about it/asking questions. I was made to do that, literally. I am able to explain the system and what we need best to outsiders, or even people in the system (like I'm doing now). I am also able to ask for help from people around us when we need it because I can put our needs into words, and I'm confident enough to do so.

Next we'll do me, I guess. But I mean... I'm pretty sure you guys already know? But here it is anyway.

Stormy

Okay so you are also a combination of more than one type of alter: Disabled Alter and Trauma Holder/Memory Holder Alter. Disabled is pretty obvious. You were born with a disability, most often that stems directly from  a specific traumatic moment in Faith's (or the host's) life. Your disability is that you can't speak. Or you're mute. Then, the Memory Holder part. You hold onto traumatic memories from Faith (or sometimes one of the other alters) so that she doesn't have to. Just like I was made to answer and ask questions, you were made to handle trauma and negativity better than the rest of us. You're more equipped for it and it is safer for you to have those memories than Faith. So you remember them as though you lived them, and she doesn't.

Yeah really a top notch job, huh? It's a little depressing to talk about. Anyway let's move on. I got a lot of questions about this one.

Leigh

Leigh is what's called a Gatekeeper Alter. She has access (at least in our case) to all of the information, memories, everything in our system. If she wants to see them, that is. She then is able to decided how much of that each of us can also see. She decides who knows what. Who gets what memories, who knows what about the system, and even who can see which alter. She withholds information until Faith and the system are in what she deems to be a safe space for her to share that info with us. Use the name Gatekeeper to help you understand. On one side of the "gate" that she guards has all of the information in that system. She acts like border security, and decides what can or can't come through the gate into the rest of the system.

Brynn

Okay so Brynn is a Caretaker Alter. Her job is described in the name. She is supposed to take care of Faith. Although she has expanded her horizons to take care of the entire system. This means she looks after our emotional states. She checks in on us. She makes sure that the Body is getting the right nourishment, and that we are too. She tries to keep the peace, and tries to mediate and calm us down when we fight with each other. She gives really good hugs, and really does everything in her power to make sure that everyone in the system is taken care of and feels loved.

Okay this next one I got an insane number of questions about so I'm glad Hannah can clear some of this up.

AJ

Okay so AJ is a Shell Alter. Her job is to act as a forcefield or shell to protect the system from the outside. When she takes over the body, she is able to act exactly as Faith would, entirely hiding the fact that we have a DID system. She also is able to act completely "normal" and healthy even if something bad is happening in the Mind. AJ needs to be able to act just like Faith, and that's why she and Faith are the same age, and they age at almost exactly the same rate.

And then finally...

Faith

Faith is the host and the Apparently Normal Personality Alter. The host is the original alter. The child who was born in the Body, and whose age and appearance matches the Body. Faith is also the A.N.P. This means that she's the one who spends the most time in the body, and is the one who has the most normal life and relationships outside of the system. The A.N.P. is not always the host, though. Sometimes it is a different alter. Just in our case, Faith is both.

Okay, hopefully that helped your understanding somewhat. Thank you for reading. Also sorry this didn't come out earlier, our switching has kind of been all over the place and I didn't have a chance to write this up until now. If you have any more questions, I can do my best to answer, but I won't be as good as Hannah, sadly. Sorry 😔

Anyway, have a great rest of your day 🙂