~1~

'Life goes on'
That's what everyone says.
But what if that's the saddest part?
~~

September 2019

~~

Don't panic.

Do.

Not.

Panic.

You'll figure something out Angelica.

The bench I was currently sitting on was cold and uncomfortable beneath me.

It had been two months.

Although it seemed like an eternity had passed.

Just two months.

Since my mother had finally succumbed to her cancer.

Since I had left that godforsaken place.

I'd spent all the money I'd saved on the plane ticket here, I'd even sold my mother's wedding ring and my pendant for money but even that had run out.

I had no food. No money.

No home.

The tears threatened to spill but I held them back

I clutched the envelope in my hands to my chest. It was the only piece of my mother I had left.

Inside the envelope, there was a letter and a single photograph.

When you looked at the photo you couldn't help but smile. You'd see the faces of a happy family. A father, a mother, their son, and their daughter. Looking so content, and peaceful.

The letter on the other hand was a different story. It was tragic, really, but for some odd reason, I found myself reading it over and over again. Perhaps it was because I felt like it was the only thing keeping me tethered to reality.

My eyes automatically started skimming through the lines;

"To my dearest daughter,

I told the nurse to give you this letter after I was gone, so if you're reading this I have already left you.

I want you to do two things for me,

First I want you to go to my room, and search the floor beneath the bed for a loose floorboard. You'll find a wooden box beneath it, inside that box there's some jewelry and a picture. Take it. You can sell the jewelry. The money won't be a lot but it will be something at least.

Next, I want you to pack your things and leave home.

Home.

That's not what I should call this place.

This isn't what a home is supposed to be like. This place is a nightmare.

I am so sorry I brought you here. At the time it seemed like the best decision, but by the time I realized that it wasn't, it was too late to turn back.

I know the only reason you stayed here was because of me. There were times when I wanted to beg you to leave me here and run as far away as you could but I was too much of a coward to do that. I wasn't ready to let you go.

Now that I'm gone. I know there's nothing for you here.

Nothing but pain and suffering. I know it's all my fault. I hope that you'll be able to forgive me one day.