~22~

But I'm trying to hope with nothing to hold

I'm living on such sweet nothing

~~

The following two weeks passed quickly.

Sebastian and I spent every waking minute together. It was like somewhere in our hearts we knew that our time together was limited and we were both trying to make the most of it.

Tonight was Christmas Eve a night that was supposed to be dedicated to family and love but there was an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Sebastian had left a while ago to prepare for the celebration the Alfonsi family had every year on Christmas Eve. Sebastian hadn't told me much, just that if I wanted I should come downstairs at seven o'clock.

It was almost seven now and I still hadn't left the room.

I sat on the bed and stared blankly at the matchbox I'd stolen from the kitchen yesterday. The letter and picture proving I was the daughter of Carlos Vitale sat in my lap, mocking me. I knew they were a ticking time bomb. I was living amongst people who wanted to exterminate the Vitale bloodline.

People like Lorenzo and Lucian Alfonsi.

But every time I set a match on fire and brought it closer to the piece of paper, I couldn't bring myself to destroy it.

It was the only piece of my mother left. The only thing that proved that she existed.

I had this absurd fear of losing my memory once more. Although I was aware that it was very unlikely to happen again I still feared that if I burned the letter & picture and lost my memory I would have no recollection of my mother and nothing to remind me of the fact that she existed.

I sighed placed the matchbox back in the bedside drawer and shoved the letter and photo into my bag pack.

I heard footsteps nearing my room and my heart leaped to my throat in panic. I quickly shoved the backpack under the bed. Some of my panic eased and the footsteps faded further down the hallway.

Get your shit together Angelica.

Calm down.

I shakily got to my feet.

I needed to get my mind off this situation before I completely lost it.

Tonight is Christmas Eve. I should be spending it with Sebastian, having a good time.

I squared my shoulders and turned to walk out of the room. I carefully locked the door behind me and made my way downstairs determined to push all depressing thoughts out of my head tonight.

My breath hitched in surprise as soon as I stepped into the lobby.

The first thing I noticed was the people.

So many people.

Mostly men but a few women too. They were probably part of the Alfonsi family or worked for them.

The lobby was decorated with lights and brightly colored ornaments and tables had been placed around the room covered with black cloth and filled with food.

Everywhere people were talking, laughing, and eating. My eye settled on Lucian and Lorenzo who were sitting at the head table surrounded by people, clearly enjoying themselves.

I cringed when I saw Lucian grab a beautiful blonde woman around the waist and plant a sloppy kiss on her mouth. I watched the woman's body stiffen. I started marching towards them ready to save the poor girl from Lucian's assault but suddenly her body relaxed and she looped her arms around his neck and giggled.