~13~

I don't know if you know who you are until you lose who you are.

~~

I realized that this was the first time I was nervous to talk to Sebastian.

There was a time that I'd been scared of him but I'd never been nervous.

Maybe it was because this was the first time I was actually asking him for something. Something I really wanted.

He leaned against the kitchen counter, hip propped against the marble. He was reading a newspaper, a steaming mug of coffee clutched in one hand.

I stepped into the kitchen somewhat timidly. At once his eyes lifted from the newspaper.

His severe face changed when he saw me, the harsh lines immediately softening.

He tipped his head in greeting.

He reached for the white ceramic mug I'd been using from the counter and started pouring coffee from the coffee maker into it. I silently watched as he poured just the right amount of milk and two cubes of sugar before he handed it to me.

The fact that he'd actually paid attention to how I liked my coffee made my heart skip a beat.

"I was afraid I would not get to see you before I left." His husky voice caught my attention.

My heart leaped but this time it was from nervousness as I was reminded of my task.

"I wanted to ask you for something. A favor." I finally mustered up the courage to say.

His eyes lit up with amusement. "Yes?"

He took a sip from his mug, I watched his throat bob as he swallowed.

"I want you to take me with you." I suddenly blurted.

His expression changed from amused to surprised to completely blank in a matter of seconds. "I'm afraid I don't understand." His voice was calm and void of emotion.

I took a deep breath.

"I want to go with you," I repeated slowly this time. "I want to see what you do. I need to . . ."

I need to know what you're capable of.

"Why?" His question was curt.

I licked my dry lips.

"I want to know you, Sebastian." I whispered.

I want to know the man I'm falling for.

For a moment there was silence but he finally spoke.

"You want to go with me?" He asked slowly.

"Yes." I gave him a quick nod.

"Very well then. You should go and get changed." He straightened.

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets.

I'd suspected him to say no or argue at least.

He frowned. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head. "Nothing, I'm just surprised you're allowing me to go with you so easily."

His eyes narrowed. "I have no right to allow you to do or not do something, no one does. If you want to go somewhere, you shall go."

I was stunned.

He was the only man who'd ever said that to me.

And he was right.