~28~

"I love you as dark things are to be loved,

in secret, between the shadow and the soul."

― Pablo Neruda, 100 Love Sonnets

~~

"Kill her Sebastian. Get rid of your weakness and regain your place as il Demonio."

I inhaled sharply making Sebastian's eyes flit in my direction briefly.

His expression was stoic, giving nothing away. He didn't seem surprised like he'd been expecting Lorenzo to say those words.

This was Sebastian's ultimate test.

My heart lurched in my chest.

Lorenzo had threatened to go after Sebastian's nephew if he didn't kill me. My bound fists clenched behind my back, he was a child, he didn't deserve to be dragged into this.

She is to die anyway, if you don't kill her she will be handed to our men.

Lorenzo's revolting words flitted through my brain.

Maybe I should have been terrified.

Maybe I should have wept and begged for my life on my knees.

But the truth was, I felt strangely calm at this moment.

No matter how much I wanted to live I didn't have it in me to drag an innocent child into this dark and cruel criminal world in return. I also knew in my heart that there was no way out of this situation. Even if Sebastian didn't kill me I would die.

I knew what I had to do.

I squared my shoulders and tilted my chin up.

"It's alright, Sebastian," I said softly.

Sebastian's shoulders stiffened and his head snapped in my direction. His jaw clenched and even from where I stood I could see the hurt in his eyes.

I gave him a soft smile. "It's okay," I murmured. "I want you to do it. Please."

He swallowed thickly and closed his eyes. He was still clutching the gun and I noticed the slight tremble in his hands.

"I want you to know that I don't blame you for any of this." Stubborn tears started prickling my eyes and I tried to blink them away. "Thank you for everything you have done for me, these past few months I spent with you have been the best part of my life. Thank you." I whispered.

Funny how the only sadness I felt over dying was because of the fact that I wouldn't be with Sebastian anymore.

My eyes moved over his face trying to memorize every detail. "I need you to know that you are a good man. As long as you believe that, you'll always do what's right." My expression hardened as my eyes focused on Lorenzo. "Don't give in to them after I'm gone. Keep fighting against what's wrong."

Sebastian's shoulders were heaving now. His breaths were coming out in loud shuddering pants. His hands clenched and unclenched around the gun.

His agonized eyes finally lifted up to meet mine.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Angelica." He whispered.

He aimed the gun at me.

I didn't move, hardly even breathing.

A cold humorless chuckle suddenly escaped Sebastian's lips.

"I'm curious. How long have you been planning this?" Sebastian's furious gaze focused on Lorenzo. "Planting those bombs to kill Carlos Vitale, turning Lucian and my own men against me, threatening to go after Adrian. You backed me into a corner. You really thought this whole thing through, didn't you Uncle?"