~12~

"Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

-Game of Thrones

~~

I can hear the clock ticking as I step into the house and shut the door behind me silently.

It's almost midnight.

I had been working the night shift at the pump across the street to earn some money for my mother's chemotherapy.

I start to tip-toe towards the stairs, hoping, praying, that he isn't awake.

I've almost made it to the stairs when his voice halts me.

My whole body freezes in fear. My heart races wildly.

"Where have you been?!" His voice booms, cutting through the silence of the house. His voice is slurred I can practically smell the alcohol on his breath from here.

"I asked you a question, I expect an answer!" He bellows, my back is to him but I can hear his footsteps drawing closer.

My shoulders stiffen and my hands curl into fists.

"I was working." I grit out through clenched teeth.

"Don't lie to me, bitch!" He growls.

He's close now.

I want to fight him.

But I can't.

I need him.

My mother needs him.

If he kicked us out we'd have nowhere to go and my mother wouldn't survive out on the streets with her illness.

His hand closes around my arm, he squeezes painfully. I know I will have bruises tomorrow.

I yank my arm from his grasp and make a run for it.

I'm almost at the top of the stairs when he catches me. His hand grabs my ponytail and he yanks me backward.

I scream as I lose my balance and hurtle down the stairs.

I'm lying on the floor. Broken both in body and in spirit.

He kicks me in the ribs and I cry out from the unbearable pain I feel.

He stands above me. Smiling his cruel, crooked smile.

Don't fight him, Angelica.

Just take it.

Don't fight.

~~

I was trembling when I woke up. My breath came out in short gasps.

I flinched when I felt a touch on my shoulder.

"Bella, it's only me. Calm down."

It took me a while to regain my senses and recognize Sebastian's voice. His hands grasped my shoulders gently as he looked at me, his beautiful grey eyes wild and filled with worry.

I noticed that his shoulders were heaving as he took in deep breaths like he'd run here. "You were screaming." He took a shuddering breath. "I thought someone was trying to hurt you."

This time I really took him in. His hair which had recently started to grow out was tousled, his chest bare. He had obviously been sleeping.

I looked down at my trembling hands feeling ashamed.